Thursday, April 23, 2009

April 23, 2009: WOW....what a beautiful spring day!!!

The day began with clouds everywhere....the humidity higher than it has been......and temps warmer outside than inside the stick and brick.....hmmmmm.......it seemed as if the online weather.com was going to be wrong! However....by mid-morning after my Fr Roast and breakfast....the sun came through steadily and it turned into a great morning!!!

About that time....I decided to finish the War of the Yard....do or die! Soooo, putting on my "battle clothes"....I headed out to take care of finishing the mowing.......and, after about an hour including a water break for about 10 minutes....I knew that I had won this battle!!!! Then......it was time to cut back all of the beautiful dead plumes and foliage of the ornamental grasses that we have planted over the years. This always turns out to be more a battle than I think it should be.....as it isn't the actual cutting of the plumes and stems....but it is the picking it all up that takes sooo much time. And.....today I fought this battle three times!!!

Then.....it was time to trim a white dogwood tree.....as there were several rather large dead limbs still on the tree. Finding the saw.....getting the ladder.....and then calling for the 1st Lady to come and hold the ladder as I climbed up to reach the dead limbs. Well.......it took more effort on a couple of those very thick branches than I had anticipated.......and by the time I had completed this battle......I was really much more exhausted than I thought I would have been!!

Water was needed!!!!!! I was dizzy.....and very weak.....soooo, ...I drank two bottles just to get by body back into some kind of action.......I realize now that I was beginning to suffer from dehydration......and it came on rather quickly. However.......I was soon ok......and enjoying the patio as I watched some of the birds at the feeder.

The remainder of the afternoon I spent on doing some travel research online. We have found a real deal on flights to Lima, Peru, which must be purchased by May 8th......so, is this the right time to go to Machu Picchu? A round-trip flight from Chicago to Lima for only $385!!!!!! And, it is good through the fall......so, I began to check on a temporary schedule......looking for hotel costs in both Lima, Cusco, and the Machu Picchu area, flts from Lima to Cusco, the train to Macchu Picchu, guides, etc., etc., etc. LOTS to research in a short time!!!!!! Coordinating ALL of these factors is part of the fun(?) and part of the problem.....however, I believe we can save some $$$ by doing this ourself, as long as we can get a guide at the different places we visit. I'll keep you posted on how this is going.....and, if we can get it all worked out. We have some other personal business that must be taken care of this year, but I feel we can get this all worked out....with time and effort!

It has been a year and a half since we made the almost three week trip to Egypt and Jordan.....and so, we are behind on our overseas traveling. We had planned to make one major journey each year.......but, last year we elected to go to the Maritime Provinces in northeast Canada....Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, and Nova Scotia......and it was SUCH a WONDERFUL trip. Sooooo, it is time to get our butts in gear......because you know: LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO STAY IN ONE PLACE!!!! And, with each passing day, at age 66, those days are becoming less and less. I have not....yet.....been to South America and that makes me want to go even more. By visiting there this coming fall, I would only have the continent of Antartica left to visit and then I would have been to all seven of them!

We are going to Ava's birthday party this weekend......and it should be fun. We will also be celebrating Rachel's birthday at the same time........they are just a couple of days apart!

And soooo, the War of the Yard has been won....the yard is under control......and with lots of things to think about for this possible journey...... as always.....

LIFE IS JUST INCREDIBLY GREAT!!!!!!.....And, I hope it is for all of you, also!!!!!!

No comments: