Sunday, April 19, 2009

April 19, 2009: OMG....400 miles of hard, never-ending rain!!!!!

Yep.....a terrible weather day here.....here in MISERY!!! After the morning rituals, Fr. Roast coffee, I changed into some casual clothes, picked up my thermos and travel cup...both filled with Fr. Roast coffee, my new camera of which I am still not very familiar with the way it operates, and before long I was on the road....IN THE RAIN...to Mexico, Misery!!

Today was the celebration of a 50th wedding anniversary by family friends......friends whom I have known since I was a little boy and could only travel with my Dad and Mom. My folks lived in Mexico, MO, at an early time in their married lives......before I came along, most assuredly. While living there, the became friends with another young couple.....and this friendship lasted throughout their lives.....both couples' lives. As a child, I always looked forward to my family returning to Mexico to visit with the Crump family.....as they had three children which were all close to my age......and we all enjoyed each other's company sooooo much. Years went by....as they always seem to do, but we always stayed in contact with each other.....through marriages, the births of our own children/grandchildren, and the deaths of those two couples with their Life-long friendships. Stories of these years have a way of being forgotten until we "children" manage to get together ever few years......and today was one of those days!!!!

After arriving in Mexico, having stopped in Kingdom City for lunch, I found the American Legion Hall west of Mexico.....and there I located Sue and Frank....the 50th wedding anniversary couple......Sue being the oldest child of my parent's friends....but only 4 years older than myself.
She was quite surprised to see me there.......and with her sister and her family....and her brother......it was a great reunion, to say the least!!!! I love these three people as I would if they were actually sisters and brother of myself........we have always been together at these family occasions, as well as the deaths of our parents.

For almost three hours, we had a great time, along with the many, many, many friends of theirs who came to wish them a Happy Anniversary. Among these friends and relatives of theirs, I talked with a couple of older people of my parents' generation.......and they told me of their friendship with Mom and Dad......and some stories of the friendships which I had never heard before........and so, this made the afternoon an emotional one for me, also. It was just a wonderful afternoon........so full of happiness and warmth and emotion.

Sue and Frank: HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO BOTH OF YOU!!!!!!

The trip up there and the return 200 miles back to the stick and brick were a bit tense as the rains never let up.....NEVER!!!! At times it was very difficult to even see the highway because it would become foggy and the rains and darkness, even this morning, made it almost impossible to see the road. And, as I sit here writing this, the rains are pounding on the roof of the stick and brick......and I do believe it is time for this crap to end!!!!

I am really tired this evening......and so I will close this.......close this with the thoughts of my childhood days being spent in the company of these wonderful Life-long family friends!!! And.....as always...and especially after an afternnoon such as today's......

LIFE IS JUST INCREDIBLY GREAT AND WONDERFUL!!!!!!!......And, I hope it is for all of you, also!!!!!!

No comments: