Friday, April 11, 2008

Just finished watching an amazing MSNBC documentary!!!!

WOW.......today I wondered aloud if I was back in Texas....in the RGV!!! Yep....we had very strong winds....upwards of 40mph, JUST like in the RGV. Other than that....the temps were in the upper 50's and the sun was bright and cheery!!

Most of the morning was spent in getting a few things done so that the 1st Lady could leave for Monroe City.....to visit her mother for about a week. There were income taxes to check over and then sign....even though since we live in a county that was declared a disaster county because of the horrendous floods....we are allowed an extra month to get the tax forms finished and mailed. And then, with the dropping temps, she decided that she had to take some extra clothes....take some that were much heavier than those she had planned to take with her.

She left around noon......and made several stops along the way. We are shopping for a new stainless steel refrigerator...and so she spent time doing some shopping for one that would fit the space we have, but would also fit our needs. She called several times, but not sure she found exactly what she seems to be looking for........

Me????? I have been fighting the onset of a sore throat...and so, I sat outside on the patio until the winds became too strong and too cool, so back inside I went and just relaxed quite a bit.

Sooo, hasn't it been an interesting day for this evolving sagging hulk of me?? HA!!! You probably wonder what the hell I am actually talking about, aren't you?? Well.....there are days for all of us that just don't seem to have any direction to them......not direction for us, either. However.........what I have just experienced by watching the tellie has opened up many thoughts for me......and for any others who also had this marvelous opportunity to see this documentary.

What was this film???? "Meeting David Wilson"........a documentary about two David Wilsons.....one who is black and the other one who is white and who OWNED the family of the black David Wilson back in the 1800's!!!!! Let me encourage each one of you to find a copy of this documentary and the follow-up "A Conversation about Race" which is so thought-provoking......I find myself even questioning my thoughts and my feelings.........

I attended and graduated from Lincoln University in Jefferson City, MO. At the time that I enrolled....1961....it was about 85% black......and the four and a half years that I spent there was the most life-changing experience that I believe I have ever had. I believe I could write a book about the marvelous experiences that I had there....my travels with the university band where I could be served in a restaurant but my fellow band members could not be served, my amazing experiences walking and carrying signs in the protests to integrate various facilities in Jefferson City......and yet, this documentary and follow-up has opened my mind to new thoughts and new ways of seeing this conversation about race.......

I could go on...and on....and on....and on about all of this....tonight's shows and the days and nights of my college education at a black university. I have soooooo much that I can discuss......soooo much that I can relate....... And you know......this is 2008.....and to think that we STILL have to have a conversation about race........after all of these hundreds of years.

I will simply close this for now.......and just once again strongly encourage and advise you to see these two incredible and disturbing shows that were on MSNBC this evening. They will make you uncomfortable.....but you really should see them!

Yes......even with the thoughts racing through my mind now.....

LIFE IS GREAT!!!!!!......And, I hope it is for all of you, also!!!!!

This entire evening is a MUST SEE for all grade levels in every school in this country.....public, private, and home-schooled students.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for writing about the documentary. I was reading your blog as I do regularly and it was 11:00PM here in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. I searched my tv guide and what a coincidence! It was just starting at 11:00PM.

What a great piece of work, love justice with a good ending as I am a retired Police Officer. Our national television service CBC was heavily involved in this and NBC picked up on it.

Hard to believe the degree of hatred in some people due to one factor only "the color of someone's skin"....arg!!!!!!

Lastly good for you for telling those folks who don't want to read about your plumbing problems to go somewhere!!! part of life and may make someone else feel they are not alone with these problems.

Keep up the great work!!!!