Saturday, January 05, 2008

Day 6: WHAT stunning weather!!!!! WHAT a GREAT place to spend a winter!!!!

AMAZING!!! Very difficult to believe that today was only January 5!!!! It was sooooo damn wonderful outside this morning........the windows came up, and the warm air came rushing in....carried in on the early breezes(which turned into some very strong winds later). I took my French Roast coffee outside on the patio.....watching the palmettos and palm trees and the grapefruit/orange trees gently swaying. Soooooo pleasant!!!

A bit later we were off to the McAllen, TX, Convention Center....about 15 miles west of where we are in Mercedes. OMG.....when we arrived there were hundreds and hundreds of "silver/blue haired" senior citizens(including a few silver hairs of myself). It was the annual Travel Show that is held there.......and there were many, many booths from all of the states in Mexico, and many of our states here in the south/southwest, including cities and towns of these states. We came away with bags full of wonderful ideas for travel.......in Mexico. We are very interested in traveling in Mexico....NOT just across the border, but down into the heart of that wonderful country....and so, these booths were very helpful to us for the plans we need to make.

Now.....to the many senior citizens there.....and please, I DO realize that I....this sagging hulk of an old school band director.......can be, and SHOULD be...counted in with all of those senior citizens!!!!! It is just at times like this morning that I find myself facing my mortality and coming to grips with reality that I AM a part of this growing group of citizens. And....down here in the RGV....there are tens....perhaps hundreds...of thousands of senior citizens who flock here to savor the warmth, save money when they dine in the local establishments, and enjoy the incredible entertainment that is available to them/each of us. This is a really great.....a wonderful....place to spend the winter. Another plus??????? The warmth and friendliness that is shown to all of us who are here for a few months....the appreciation that the local people show to us, including our friends...our Latino brothers and sisters.....in the neighboring towns and villages on the immediate south side of the border!!! WHAT a GREAT place to spend a winter!!!!!

After leaving the Convention Center........we went bicycle "hunting". I found one that I REALLY liked, it felt good, it rode good, BUT.......it was a bit more than I want to spend. However, it was one hell of lot cheaper than some that I looked at..........$4000.00 plus!!!!!!! Good God......unless I turned pro, I sure as hell would never spend that much for a bicycle!!! Soooo, I will keep looking.........

We made a couple of other stops and then returned to TheHowserHouse. Where we are located with such wonderful spacing between the various RV's from side to side......the winds were really kicking up.......and had blown over my lawn chairs while we were gone. In fact, across the street the grapefruit tree lost a limb that was heavy with the large fruit.....and so we went over and picked up some of the fruit that was laying on the ground.

And so....another day gone. Another good day......and one that ensures that......

LIFE IS GREAT!!!!!!.......And, I hope it is for all of you, also!!!!!

No comments: