Friday, January 11, 2008

Day 12: GORGEOUS!!! BRILLIANT!!!! WOW!!!!

OK.....you may think that I simply have gotten carried away by my writings, but.....HEY....this day's weather was just ALL OF THE ABOVE!!!! Not a cloud in the sky until mucho luego(may not be grammatically correct in Espanol) and the temps were in the mid-80's......warmer than predicted. WHAT a GRAND day.......

About mid-morning we left TheHowserHouse and went east a very few miles to the RGV RV Show....in Mercedes. Well.....by the time we arrived, a few minutes after we left the 5er, this places was already packed with the Winter Texans!!! Lots and lots and lots of people inspecting, touring, bargaining, deciding, arguing.......all of these as they enjoyed viewing the new models of many brands of travel trailers, 5th wheel trailers, motorhomes, and park models. Ok....I must admit, we did not see anything that we liked any better than what we are now sitting/living in at this point in time. No particular new innovations that caught our eyes........except HIGHER PRICES!!! UGH!!!! I would be dead and cold in the ground before I could finish paying for some these RV's!!! And.......because they are new....would that mean they are in perfect condition????

HELL NO!!!! No one ever, ever purchases a new RV that doesn't have problems from the very "git-go"........there is just NOT enough "quality control" on these units. After three and a half years, we still discover things that are not quite "right" with our own HowserHouse.....things that were not quite inspected thoroughly enough and these little problems are just now showing up. It just happens........and the longer one enjoys and uses an RV, there will always be a problem or two that requires some repair. As my next door neighbor in F'town has always said, "Hell, John......just try putting your house on wheels....your "stick/brick".....pull it down the highway.....and then see just how many things go wrong with it!" How true, how true!

Soooo, after spending about three hours there, we went on towards Harlingen....about 9-10 miles to have "lunch" at the Lone Star restaurant......NOT the chain, but a great place to eat that we were told about last year and enjoyed then. Sooooooo, we pulled in and really enjoyed a WAY TOOOO MUCH lunch! HUGE portions......and very reasonable prices......and hey.......WHEN you go there, order the Onion RINGS...not the Onion Loaf!!!! WOW.....worth the drive if you are down here in the RGV!!

Soooo, an hour plus later we waddled out the door, drug our stuffed, evolving bodies to the truck.....and silently, I thanked God that it was an F350, ONE TON truck!!!!! We had really eaten more than we should have......and I was silently hoping that we would be able to get on down the highway. IF....IF...there had been any hills to ascend, well.......the entire trip might have become questionable!!

The next stop???? BICYCLE WORLD.......yep, I decided to see if they had the bike that I saw in McAllen last weekend......AND THEY DID!!!! Sooooo, I tried out a couple of others first....and then told them I would take the model I had seen last week at the Bicycle World in McAllen. We were told it would take an hour for them to put it together, test it out, and then we could pick it up.

We made a quick trip across town.....well, it wasn't REALLY a quick trip as Harlingen is not the easiest to get around in when not familiar with the streets and loops of the "belt" highways. However, within an hour we were back at the bike shop......and I loaded it into the back seat of the truck, after removing the front wheel. OMG.....how easy it is these days to remove the front wheel!!!!!! All by hand, no tools needed.........whew...what a difference than in the "old days".

I purchased a light weight, 21 speed, Raleigh Venture 3.0. Some great "shocks" on the front and rear, and really, really easy to ride and enjoy!! EXCITED, I am, I am!!! Let me assure you, it is NOT one of those $4000+ models that they sell...........but, it certainly is more than I ever, ever thought I would spend for a two wheeled mode of transportation. Now.......I sure as Hell hope that I live long enough to get my money's worth out of it......hahahaa! And......as they assisted me in loading it into the truck, they reminded me that in 30 days, it needs to come back into their store/shop for a 30 Day Tune-up!!! OMG.......What has this world come to??????????

Back to TheHowserHouse and by this time the sun was falling down behind the other RV's and palm trees. I quickly "snapped" on the front wheel.....and off I went, cruising around Llano Grande RV Resort.......just imagining that all eyes were on me and my very new bicycle!! Hmmmmmm......errrrrr, just how old am I anyway????

It is a warm, wonderful evening.........a perfect ending to a perfect day......which ensures me that.......

LIFE IS REALLY, REALLY GREAT!!!!!!.....And, I hope it is for all of you, also!!!


No comments: