Tuesday, October 03, 2006

A day of driving......625 miles

I left a few minutes after 5am this morning for Kansas City to bring TheHowserHouse back to F'town where it belongs. I had taken it to KC(Grain Valley) to Nationwide RV for some repairs that were needed. Nationwide RV has such a fine-55. reputation for sales and service of rv's and since they are such wonderful supporters of our Cedar Creek RV Owners Club....I decided to let them handle the repairs. I was called while I was in Orlando last week that it was ready to be picked up....and paid for.

Hence....my quick trip to KC and back today. I returned here exactly 12 hours after I left this morning.....almost to the minute!! I ran into HEAVY early morning rush hour traffic in STL, but once I was headed west on I-64....the traffic thinned out and and I was in KC in less than 5 hours. Thankfully, I had brought my own Fr. Roast coffee in a good thermos.....and so I sipped on it clear across the state.

I filled up with diesel fuel before picking up TheHowserHouse......$2.29 a gallon!!! It was at the QT in just outside Grain Valley.....and it was the same price I had paid at the QT two weeks ago just north of Festus on I_55. It only took about 30 minutes to pay the bill, discuss the repairs, and then hook up ......and soon I was rolling east on I-70. LOTS more traffic on 70......and so it was much more tense as I was pulling 38' of rv behind me.....and the winds were slamming me from the side which made the driving not soooo pleasant.

Just outside of Warrenton I stopped at a Flying J to grab a bite to eat. Wellllllll.....that was a BIG mistake!!!!! I ordered just a cheeseburger and it was COLD when they served it to me......so I told the waitress and she returned it to the kitchen. The "put it on the grill" and so she asked me if it was ok. Wellllllllll....it was like trying to eat shoe leather.......sooooo tough! What did I do???? Welllllll, I told her about it and so she had the cook fix me a different one. Hmmmmm, guess what!!! Same story.........I had to cut it with a knife in order to eat it!!! Soon the manager came over to the table and ask how things were......and I told him. He explained that at Flying J the hamburgers are all pre-cooked when they get them, so they will be tough!!!! I said that certainly was not good for the restaurants......to serve tough hamburgers. Sooooo, he took my check and said it was not necessary for me to pay for my meal.....and asked if I wanted anything different to eat. I explained that I did not complain just to get my meal paid for.....but to let the kitchen....and him.....realize that the food was not of a very high standard.

Hmmmmm.......so I let him tear up the bill. Was I being crotchity in my old age???? I think not......I was just being honest when it comes to being served food that is not presentable or edible for their customers. My suggestion to all of you: Do not order hamburgers of any kind at Flying J's!!!!!!!!!

And so....I will get off of my "soapbox" and finish this little blog post for the evening....and get some much needed rest. Even if my hamburger wasn't edible........

Life is Great.......and I hope it is for all of you, also!!!!!

No comments: