Sunday, January 15, 2006

A day in STL....RV Show

Left the Moser Estate around 10 and drove into STL city center to the Convention Center which adjoins the "Rams Dome".....should I even mention the infertile Rams???? Anyway......we spent several hours at the RV Show looking over the various RVs from the Pop-up trailers to the toyhauler rvs to the new 5ers and then the elegant, luxury motor homes of which some of them were over a quarter of million dollars. It always fun to look at these models of any type of rvs.......could it be because we have had an rv since 1972??? Several of the dealers had rv items for sale so we purchased a patio lounge chair which folds up. It is really comfy and will probably buy another one in the near future....IF I can get the same good price. Normally sells for $149 and we got it today at the show for $109.

We were ready to leave and the 1st Lady was watching a demonstration of some cookware, so I told her I would meet her at the exit door. I was standing there when this graying haired man looked at me and spoke asking if he could ask me a question. Well.....what do you say, but "yes". Soooo, he asked if my name was "John"....smart man...hahaa! Anyway, then he said that I had been his teacher.....that he had been in band. I couldn't recognize him at all.....and then he said his name was Jay Duncan!!! Well........good God....he graduated in 1981 and I hadn't seen him since that time. He played trumpet, went with the band on their first out of state trip to the Black Hills where we performed in Rapid City. It was just GREAT seeing him again...and we talked for about 10 minutes. He lives in Washington, MO........so after explaining that my daughter lives just outside of Washington.....we decided to meet when I am there next and have a beer, or as he said, a few glasses of vino. I have had a difficult time getting him out of my over-active mind....thinking about him and the other students in his class of '81. Wow.........he is almost 43 years old........how does that make me feel??? OLD!!!!! I am really anxious to visit more with him and his wife.........it was a great surprise!!!

After that we went down to SouthCounty Mall and ate at a Mexican restaurant.....rather fast food type but one HELL of a lot better than a smelly Taco Bell!!!! We did a bit of shopping at Penny's and then I grabbed a cappuccino at Starbucks and we headed on south to Arnold and Kohl's Dept Store. The 1st Lady purchased a few things with a gift card she received for her BD.....and then it was homeward bound....another 65 minutes and we drove in the drive!

Now.....it is catch up time from being gone for the past two days......and prepare for a busy week. Lunch tomorrow with Goldie......School BD tomorrow night......meeting with our contractor Tuesday night...and the week goes on very quickly.

Soooo......after a GREAT weekend.....a warm and very fun visit with my cousin and his wife and daughter, great dark beer and supper with them in St. Charles, overnight with Dr. Jeni and family, the RV Show and running into a student from 25 years ago, etc., etc., etc. as usual....

Life is GREAT.....and I hope for all of you, also!!

1 comment:

Larry and Cindy said...

Isn't really great when you run into someone you haven't seen for so many years. I can't image the lives you have touched being a teacher for all those years. Your students will most likely recognize you but you will seldom know who they are. When I was a manager I hired a lady whose husband was one of my teachers when I was in High School. You talk about coincidence.