Saturday, June 06, 2009

June 6, 2009: Two days.....can I remember yesterday???

Well.....yesterday was spent in the yard......ALL DAMN DAY!!!!!! The 1st Lady and I did make some progress, but we still have lots to clean.....especially after the city took most of the debris.....the branches, spruce trees (3 of them), and lots of just brush, but the HUGE, thick logs and trunks.....that were sawed like slicing sausages, are still there. We tried to move them, pick them up, push them, roll them....and got very little accomplished except strain our muscles, our backs, our legs, and work ourselves into exhaustion.

After we got some of this raked and cleaned, I then spent most of the rest of the day mowing the yard....and by late afternoon I was dead on my feet. I threw some burgers on the grill, she made a wonderful warm potato salad, and after that good meal....we did nothing but moan and groan and lay around. Hence.......I couldn't make my fingers work enough to use the keyboard.

TODAY.......I had my Fr. Roast on the patio....and then by mid-morning, we were back in the yard, albeit moving a bit slower than yesterday morning. I did quite a lot of burning twigs, small brush, etc., etc......and it took a couple of hours as I couldn't burn much at one time due to the varying strength of the winds which came from different direction unannounced!!

I grilled some steaks and mushrooms and onions this evening for dinner......with some great wine. And then....we went out to the Hanner House for snacks, wine, and to watch the DVD..."Nixon and Frost".....one that I had not seen. A good movie......and it brought back lots of memories of that era in our history.

One of the things that has captivated me over the past 48 hours is a Facebook group page that has been started by former students of mine: Mr. H's Band Members. IF you are a Facebook member, check it out. More and more pictures of former students in band....trips to various places, and just memories that are being re-visited by all. We have had a lot of former students sign up and in to this page.......and we are honestly beginning the task of trying to reach ALL of the band students I taught during my 30 years in music education. The goal???? To have a HUGE reunion....of all the band students in the three school districts in which I taught!!!! Quite an undertaking, but some great young adults working on this goal......and they/we will succeed!!!!! I am sooooooo excited about this....and I encourage you to look at this page, read some of the comments, the "Howser-isms", the music discussions.....the pictures. It is a wonderful tribute....an incredible honor to have sooo many former students participating in this endeavor!!!!!! I am over-whelmed with this.....brings on the tears every time I look at this page!!!!

And soooo, with more about the above as time progresses.......

LIFE IS JUST REALLY, REALLY GREAT!!!!!!.....And, I hope it is for all of you, also!!!!!!!

2 comments:

B&J006 said...

For those sore aching muscles....bring on the Piroxicam from Mexico! That sounds like a LOT of hard work!

Anonymous said...

I say move to Mexico, MO. We are out of all storm areas!!!