Wednesday, June 17, 2009

June 17, 2009: A quick and brief trip to Lake of the Ozarks...

We left this morning about 9:30am.......and after a couple of pit stops, we made a longer stop just south of Tuscumbia at the Miller Country Nursing Home.....perhaps that is no longer the correct name of this place, but I didn't pay much attention. It has certainlly updated and become very modern in comparison to what I remember from when my grandmother was there.

Marsha's aunt...her mother's sister....is there...so, we stopped to see her for awhile. She is 96 and closing fast on 97 years old.....and still in very good shape!!!!! She was having lunch when we arrived and so we set with her, even though she didn't really eat while we all were chatting. She is quite able of walking wherever she desires and her mind is excellent!!!! It is always great to see her and to visit with her!!!!! I also saw the former Eldon High School Ag. teacher...from years ago....Clifford Greenway. He doesn't really know anything, but he has changed that much in looks. Also, dropped by and visited with the wife of my dad's cousin...Clare Sandfort. Again, her mind is gone.....talks and talks but had no idea who I was and she didn't really make any sense in her talking to me. Hmmmm.........and of course, all of these people certainly made my mind begin thinking of what the future holds for me.......................?????

Sooo, we arrived in Eldon at mid-afternoon...actually just in time to get a sandwich at the Philly Cafe.....a place that does serve some great Philly Cheese Steaks Sandwiches. We gobbled them down quickly and then swiftly went to the Eldon Cemetary to put some flowers on Michele's grave, as well as my Mom and Dad's graves. From there we dashed to the Lake and Osage Beach.....where we stopped at the Relax Inn....and got a nice room for only $62.00. This place has changed names as I was here before with a music group from F'town on their way to the MO State Music Festival.......I believe it was after I retired and went with Michael Goldsmith as an accompanist.

We settled in....and then off we went to the Outlet Mall......in the most ungodly heat and humidity I have felt in a couple of years (we were in the Canadian Maritime Provinces for almost all of last summer). It was on the verge of being totally unbearable......just didn't think we could walk around with the temps sooo high and the humidity soooo high. But, we dashed from store to store......or, should I say to the stores that are still there. Yes......this place has suffered from the economic downturn considerably......and, not just this Mall. The entire area appears to be lacking.......lacking in open stores...and, most importantly, lacking people being here!!!!! I was really shocked!!!!!

About 8pm, we returned to the hotel.....and then went out for an ice cream cone. Went down to the "strip"...the area that used to be the center...the hub of this tourist destination. No longer!!!! As this is my home, I continue to be surprised at how it is sliding down hill in such a rush!!! Just really hurts to see how this strip area has changed to.....nothing!

After a small walk there at Dogpatch.....and just where IS Dogpatch???? All of the most interesting parts are gone.....however, the outdoor potty is still there with some guy sitting in it when you open the door and look in.......nothing has changed there.

Returning to the hotel we stopped at Paul's Supermarket.....as it always has a great wine selection and we came out of there with four bottles at decent prices for these brands. Back in the room.......I am heading to bed. In the morning, we will have breakfast here at the hotel....and then go see my sister, who lives not far from here. She has been sick for over a month now....and not making very good progress.......and is the reason for our trip up here. Soooo, I hope she is feeling good enough for us to stop by for a short visit.....my conversation with her this afternoon on the phone made me question our stopping to see her, but we will any way, if only for a few minutes.

And so......as much as I wanted to meet with some former students to begin the plans for all of my former band students....that will have to wait until I can run back up here in the next 2-3 weeks. It just wasn't possible on this quick trip........

As always.......

LIFE IS REALLY GREAT!!!!.....And, I hope it is for all of you, also!!!!!!

No comments: