Sunday, June 28, 2009

June 27, 2009: A GREAT time at a class reunion of former students!!!

This will be brief....I have had waaaaayyyyyyy tooooooo much wine and mixed drinks, thanks to former students for treating their old band director!!!!!!

Yesterday: a quick morning, a quick drive down to Cape Girardeau, and then on to visit our son, Michael, for the afternoon. A good visit, even thought he was fighting a head cold and not feeling up to snuff/par.

Today.....we just hung around inside the house with horrific temps outside. This evening I had been invited to the Vance Vineyards Winery for the class of 1999 reunion.....10 years! And....OMG.....what a wonderful time it was.....just simply great to see many former band students and other students from 10 years ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Obviously, as I said....way too many former students buying me drinks.

The HowserHouse winery was open this afternoon as a former student, now a band director himself in Edwardsville, IL, and his wife dropped by....and we knocked off a bottle of dark red medicine before the reunion even began! They went back to the local hotel and changed clothing and then we met after they had had their reunion dinner.......and from that time on, I had a few drinks tooooooo many!!! Vance Vineyards is a great place to meet......and I saw soooo many former students that I have not seen for one year.....and for ten years. Sooooo much fun.....too much to drink....and a great time!!!! It is now 12:30am on Sunday, and I need to get my sagging hulk in the bed in a horizontal position before my head explodes in the morning.

I cannot describe the wonderful friendships that have developed with my students......there is no way to begin to talk about how really, really close we were, and how close we remain....as friends!! If you do not understand, go to Facebook: "Mr. H's Band Members" and you will see for yourself the unique relationships that we developed as teacher/student....and now as friends for Life!!!!!!! Their Lives mean soooo much to me.....and I hold each one so close to me as friends that I can always count on at any time I should need them. THAT is why the reunion of 30 years of band directing is such an incredible idea that is exploding with excitement from everyone that played in my bands over those years!!!! HOW LUCKY I AM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And sooooo, I will close this before I go nuts correcting my typos from tooooo many glasses of vino and margaritas. WOW....just a wonderful, wonderful, incredible evening!!!!!!

And....as always, and especially tonight.......

LIFE IS JUST REALLY INCREDIBLY GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!......And, I hope it is for all of you, also!!!

No comments: