Sunday, June 14, 2009

June 14, 2009: HOW could I STILL be alive???

OK.....this morning I slept until 7AM!!!!!!! THAT is quite unbelievable for me....I never sleep that long..but I did. Fr. Roast coffee was soon dripping into the coffee pot a few minutes after I was in the vertical position.....and soon the sagging hulk of Me started to become a human (?) again. The morning was spent with my coffee cup in hand...and watching a couple of the Sunday morning talk shows.......and by 10:30, I was in the yard getting the lawn mower talked into starting for me. And.....then......

I mowed until almost 3pm......and OMG, was the humidity, the sun, and the temps in the mid-80's practically unbearable for this aging, sagging hulk. As I have oftentimes said on here, I do NOT do well in humidity and heat......and today was NO exception. I was soaking wet in an hour....and just kept pushing that damned clackity machine around the yard. I had to stop to re-hydrate about every 30 minutes, but that did not keep me from getting soooo damned hot that I would sometimes just get dizzy.....and then I would head for a chair and more water. I think this was the worst I have experienced here......and I WILL not do it again when the weather is like this. Not enjoyable.....and definitely NOT good for my well-being...i.e...my Life!!

I stopped for a quick bite of lunch....and then by the time I completed the yard....with all of the holes and tire tracks in it from the storm and tree removals...another story....it took me much longer than usual. Of course, I had to trim around the logs, the root ball, the branches, the ruts in the yard......etc., etc. It will take years for this lawn/yard to heal.....and it may never be the same again!!

The remainder of the afternoon was spent in the a/c......you damn well better believe that!! I just fell soooo lucky that I had not passed out in the yard......as I felt like I would do just that several times. Guess I am in better health than I felt like I was while mowing.......!

Hmmmm.....with each passing day, I have more and more empathy for the victims of Katrina. Up here on Buford Heights, we still do not have the trees, logs, etc. out of the yards, off of the curbs, out of the streets.....and out of the way of the two way traffic!!!!! It is becoming very, very depressing......and dangerous. Several times I have heard screeching of tires as cars almost crashed into each other because of the narrowness of the street due to the debris from the downed trees. I wonder.......could it be the old adage......."out of sight, out of mind" ???? There are never tooo many city workers/administrative people that come up here.........WHERE ARE OUR ALDERMEN????? I KNOW that the tree-picker-uppers have been very busy.....but, come on now......only three trucks working on the entire town??????? I may have to join with other residents up here in a protest walk to the City Hall....!!??

But....I am still alive.....and that is something to be thankful for....even though we on Buford Blvd are living in brush and/or log piles.

And as always......even with all of this crap on the sides of the street......

LIFE IS REALLY GREAT!!!!!.....And, I hope it is for all of you, also!!!!!

2 comments:

Cassondra said...

Have you thought about running for City Council? You'd be good at it.

Anonymous said...

Have a little patience! I think all the picker upper trucks are still down here in Kentucky picking up from the late January ice storm!! Not really, but it did take them a lot more than four weeks to get to all the debris. In the parking lot of a closed tire plant, there are huge piles of picked up debris. It is just unbelievable.