Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Day 56: EIGHT WEEKS.....and having a blast!!!

AHHHHH, but we have broken our record of being on the road for 8 weeks......set way back in 1983 when we went to Alaska. It will be at least 4-5 more weeks before we return to our stick and brick......and we'll be there for less than 8 weeks before we hit the road again.

Today????? Another fantastic day.....it reached 83 degrees today with perfect blue sky.....albeit some rather strong winds blowing dust devils around in the desert. Sooooo, after a few cups of Fr. Roast coffee this morning, we jumped into the truck and headed south to Picacho State Park. The park is surrounding Picacho Peak which is a most unusual mountain.....the shape really not much like I have ever seen before. It also rises abruptly out of the desert.......is extremely rocky and covered with several different kinds of cacti. The most predominant one is the mighty and very long living Saguaro Cactus. The Saguaro grows for 75 years before it begins to grow the "arms" out of the side of it.......and they can grow to tremendous heights during their life-time. They also have the most interesting "skeleton" when they die....I will get a picture and post it when I can find one.

Sooooo, after driving the loops in the park, we returned to one of the loops from which you can take a short hike up to the "saddle" of the mt. and can see on both sides from that viewpoint. It was only a short hike....about a mile up and the same on the return down the mountain side. Now......this is all rock and cactus.....no trees...no flowers....just a desert mountain. But, the higher we hiked the better the views of the desert became........and the more we enjoyed it.

We sat for a few minutes when we reached the end of the trail.....and then returned back to the truck. After a stop at a "gift shop" (tourist trap), we drove back to Casa Grande and with a stop at Walmart and at a local supermarket we were soon on our way back to the RV Park.

The 1st Lady and I prepared dinner for Mac and Gail........my stuffed meat loaf, a corn casserole, tossed green salad, baked potatoes, fresh french bread, and an "earthquake" cake. Of course......Mac and I needed our evening dose of the dark red medicine.....and the ladies had some chilled white vino. I ate tooooo much.....but, hell......don't I always???????????? And my waist is certainly beginning to show this winter eating binges I have enjoyed. Hibernation it has not been!!!!

And so......my enlarging and very saggy hulk is sitting here in my recliner and wishing I had not eaten all of that wonderful food. Oh well...........I'll walk and bike an extra hour tomorrow!!!!

Much cooler weather is arriving tomorrow......and so my shorts will be put away for a couple of days. But........it makes no difference, does it......because......

Life is GREAT.....and I hope it is for all of you, also!!!
(Remember: If you don't think BIG.....nothing BIG will ever happen)

No comments: