Monday, February 05, 2007

Day 34: 350 miles to Casa Grande, Arizona!!

WELL……my sagging hulk has not made the change of time zones like it should have!!! I woke up and laid there and finally slipped out of bed( how does this old body “slip” out of bed????) When I went downstairs and looked at my watch…..it was only 6:30am!!! My God…..I haven’t been on my feet that early in some time. Soooooo…….I pressed the “On” button on the coffee maker and soon the aroma of freshly ground French Roast coffee beans being drowned in water……and the sound of the hot dark aromatic liquid dripping into the pot……the sun rising brightly………and soon I was in coffee heaven!!!

I went upstairs and took a shower at 7:30 and then at 8 I woke( haha, as if she wasn’t awake by now) the 1st Lady. Then I exited TheHowserHouse to a brilliant day and very cool temps. The online connection I had while sipping my hot coffee had said it had reached a low of 28 this morning……..so it was cool.

I unhooked the propane tank that was empty and soon had it filled at the office. Hmmmmm…….they charge by the gallon here, while in Misery it is charged by the size of the bottle and the weight. Anyway…..it was $21!!!!!! $7.50 more than in the RGV of Texas…..ugh!!!!
Then I decided I should check the air pressure in all 8 tires…..the first time since I had left the Valley. Well, they all needed about 5 pounds of air pressure added, so I got out my air compressor and turned it on, probably woke up the neighbors, and filled the tires up. I am rather paranoid about keeping the correct amount of air pressure in the tires……and so I do check them frequently. Sure the cold weather and perhaps the altitude in Las Cruces….about 4000 feet……had caused the loss of the air pressure, while not major…it just needed to be correct of this old man.

Then by 9:20 we were unhooked from the umbilical cords, attached to the truck and pulling out of the rv park in Las Cruces. The next few hours were filled with……well, how should I say it…….dry ground, scrub brush, and mountains without trees on them.

We continued to go up in altitude…..and eventually crossed the Continental Divide at about 4500+ feet. I was really happy with the way the truck towed TheHowserHouse up and over the mt. passes…..while not particularly steep, but steady and lengthy inclines to the top and then down the other side. Most of the time it was flat and straight and I just kept it in overdrive with the cruise control set on 65 mph……and at times forgot that there was a 39’ dinosaur attached to the bed of the truck.

We stopped at the top of one pass and filled the truck with diesel……had a DQ Blizzard…..and then descended down the other side. Soon we were in Tucson…..and then it was only 60 miles to the Sunscape RV Resort east of Casa Grande…..in the desert. My good friend Mac met us at the gate…..and led us directly to our rented site where we will set up TheHowserHouse for the next 4-5 weeks. Well…..it was a narrow area between the concrete patio and the brick landscaping wall on the other side of where TheHowserHouse was to be located. The street in front was not toooo wide….and the other side had other rv’s already located there.

Soooooo, it took about 30 minutes to get it backed in, turned and twisted, pulled forward, backed it again…..and generally tugged and pushed into the correct spot so that our door opens onto the concrete patio. I KNEW that it was long and difficult to back and would have had more problems without our friends Mac and Gail, the 1st Lady, and another gentleman who was the expert and knowing just when I should turn the wheels and push backwards a few feet.
ANYWAY……….we got just in the right spot and soon TheHowserHouse was breathing normally with the umbilical cords all attached. Now……tomorrow it needs to have a bath!!!!

A few minutes of conversation sitting on our patio and then it was time to head to The Golden Corral with Mac and Gail….and a raft of their friends from our neighborhood. I had met all of them before…..and the 1st Lady was trying to quickly learn all of the names. As usual…..in one of those buffets…..I ate tooooooooo damn much……UGH!!!!!

We returned, visited with our friends in their park model home, and then returned to TheHowserHouse for some much needed and overdue rest. It has been a good trip……I have driven over some miles and areas that I have never been to before…..and now it is time to enjoy being Arizona for a month or so.

As always……….with our home now resting here in the desert of Arizona…….

Life is GREAT…..and I hope it is for all of you, also!!!!!

No comments: