Friday, February 02, 2007

Day 31: San Antonio Riverwalk/City Center/Alamo

WOW.......totally cloud covered this morning after that beautiful full moon/cloudless sky last night!! And.....a weather change is underway....the temps are lower and the humidity is higher. When we walked to the gate to the bus stop, the drizzle of the Valley seemed to have followed us....UGH.

We were at the Riverwalk about 10am.....and we walked the river.....and became VERY cold. The winds were whipping around the tall buildings and along river. We made a side trip away from the river up to the street level to visit the Villita area.......an area of small shops of arts and crafts........and some gorgeous items in some of the shops. Wish we could afford some of them but the costs were WAY toooo high!!!! Like...thousands of dollars.

As it drew closer to noon, we went over to the area of the riverwalk by the Hyatt Regency Hotel. We were to meet my cousin and his wife for lunch in the lobby of the hotel. They live in San Antonio and has been since 2001 since I have seen him. He is 77 and his wife is 88.....and both are doing fairly well health wise. We had wanted to pick a restaurant to suggest as she cannot walk too far.

We found an Irish Pub that we thought would work......and then we did some more looking around in the City Center. We met them in the lobby of the Hyatt right on time......and it was good to see him once again. We headed down to the river and the Pub. We were there visiting and eating for an hour........and many different topics were covered in our visit. We took some pictures and then parted company.........and it was very good to see him/them again!!!!

The 1st Lady and I then went to the Alamo and spent a couple of hours inside ......viewing a short documentary movie, the Long Barrack and the "shrine"/church which is the photo building of the Alamo that everyone knows. We really enjoyed the time there....and could probably have spent more time there but it was getting colder, even though the sun had joined us after lunch. The winds were whipping around even more.....and we still wanted to take the boat ride around the Riverwalk area.

We purchased our tickets and had a really good narrator on the boat. It was a really great little 35 minute ride.....and I highly suggest anyone visiting San Antonio take the trip!!!!

We decided not to stay for the evening meal......it was tooooo cold to eat outside along the river and neither wanted of us wanted to eat inside.....we had already done that at noon. Sooooo, we went to the bus stop and caught the bus back to the rv park. We turned on the fireplace and......have just enjoyed a relaxing evening.

We are leaving in the morning.....with plans to stay in Ft. Stockton, Tx for the night. It is about halfway to Las Cruces, NM where we plan to stay on Sunday evening. Then on to Casa Grande, AZ on Monday, unless for some reason we change our plans along the way.

Believe I forgot to mention that after I had registered yesterday here a Travelers World, I came outside to park TheHowserHouse. There was a couple standing out there and they immediately asked me if I knew them, as they thought they knew me!!!!! Well......I said I didn't believe that I knew them.....and then they asked if I was from Missouri?? Yeah.....I told them I was and asked where they were from....and they replied the Kansas City area. I told them I was from the other side of the state and had never seen them before to my knowledge. WELL......then they asked if I was a member of the RV.NET website.......and, of course, the RV.NET sticker that I received at the "gathering" last Sunday was on the back window of TheHowserHouse.

So......then they said that that is where they had seen me.....and they knew of this blog and are readers of it!!! HAHAHA.....guess they couldn't recognize me by my pics???????

Sooooo, today on the very festive and colorful Riverwalk.......the great history lesson at the Alamo......the reunion luncheon with my oldest cousin and his wife......the joy of being sooooo involved in our seeing and learning about new and different things and history.........it all rolls together to make certain that for me......

Life is GREAT.....and I hope it is for all of you, also!!

No comments: