Monday, February 12, 2007

Day 41: How did it get to be EVENING????????

It was a bit cooler this morning when I came down stairs and turned on the coffee maker......chilly enough that I switched on the fireplace to warm up the den. The sun began to rise quickly....and soon TheHowserHouse felt the full effects of the warming globe of gas in the sky.

The 1st Lady was up and gone for two hours this morning to the line dancing classes held at the Clubhouse. While she was gone......I sat out on the patio with my second cup of Fr. Roast....and then when Mac and Gail were up, I hopped across the fence and sat on their porch for awhile "shooting the shit" with them. When the 1st Lady returned.......well, she did another load of laundry and me.....well?????.....not certain what I DID do, but probably wasn't anything very important.

As I have often said before......these wonderful, beautiful days in the desert just have some uncanny way of slipping by soooooo damn quickly......I just cannot begin to understand how disappear so rapidly!! Is it the lack of responsibility that I have acquired with retirement and now living, albeit temporarily, in an 55+ community???? Is it the lack of daily commitments that I have evolved into as we live out here for the winter????? Do I really miss any or all of these commitments and responsibilities???? HELL NO!!!! I honestly believe that my bp has probably dropped quite a bit with this very casual, relaxed style of Life.........I haven't had on a pair of slacks or dress shoes since...........shit, I can't even remember when I did "dress up"!!!! And.......does this bother me.......HA!! What do you think?????? As I have said ever since I walked out of the h.s. band room that last day...........it is NOT retirement, but it is rebirth!!

Now that is not to say that I don't miss being with young adults......even high school kids. I still love talking with them.....and still, as I always did for thirty years of teaching,.....I still learn from them! But........I am now soooo much more involved with older adults......retired senior citizens.....and it is a new experience.......one that is very enjoyable......and an experience is something we learn from....and I CERTAINLY am learning these days.

I still have lots of BIG thoughts and dreams of the things I want to accomplish.....to see. Oh yeah......THAT never leaves my mind. Remember.......what I have always said:

IF YOU DON'T THINK BIG.......NOTHING BIG WILL EVER HAPPEN!!

And.....I do think Big!

Well.....how the Hell did I get onto a soapbox and began to rant around.......above???? Good God.....is this my age showing????? Hmmmmm.......now that's a thought!

Anyway......the 1st Lady ran into town to pick up some items to cook for a light supper tonight.....to serve to Mac and Gail....as he had to go to the Dr. for a rather ....ummmm....personal examination. Still trying to learn about Parkinson's.....it's effects....and how to live a daily and active lifestyle with the onset of this disease.....which is progressing. This will be a new journey for him and Gail........and a new journey for me as I stand by the "road" and watch him go down that road ......to what, we don't know.

And soooooo, after a wonderful day to be alive..........

Life IS GREAT!!!!.....and I hope it is for all of you, also!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why do you always find exactly the right words I need to here? You are still an inspiration.

John said...

THANKS, "Cassie" as I always called you to .....save time! It is very good to hear from you and I appreciate your comment(s) very much. As you see, I still spout off every once in awhile...hahaha....THAT much hasn't changed in my advancing age.

John