Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Day 43: Valentine's Day

AHHHH......the day all florists live for......the day they make/take soooooo much of our hard earned $$$$$. In the past I always gave some of my $$$ to a florist, but this year I decided not to do this. I always sent a dozen red roses to the 1st Lady but after hearing the news stations in Phoenix and Tucson talking about the 30-40% increase THIS week in roses........insteadof around $80 for a dozen....they would this year cost close to $120 for a dozen ($10 per rose!!!).......I told the 1st Lady that I would not spend that much on a few flowers that would not last but a couple of days. AND......with her flying to Missouri tomorrow to spend a few days of weather "Misery" as she gets her granddaughter fix....she couldn't enjoy them for more than one day.

And....she agreed.

Besides, Mac and Gail, ourselves, and 5 other couples who winter out here had decided that we would run into Phoenix and eat at the Red Lobster to celebrate this day. The 1st Lady did go to two hours of line dancing classes this morning......and then we just hung out waiting for 2pm.....and then I drove Mac and Gail up to Chandler......a "suburb" in the south of Phoenix.

We had a GRAND time......with everyone in a festive mood. A table for all 14 was ready by the time everbody had arrived........and the two servers who were assigned to us did a super job at the never-ending tasks of taking care of us. I ordered the Alaskan King Crab Legs......1.5 pounds of wonderfully prepared crab legs......the meat was perfect and the natural sweetness of it was still very prominent despite the hot, salty drawn butter into which I dipped each succulent bite. WOW.....I have not had crab legs THAT GOOD for several years!!!! Oftentimes they are overcooked or just plain mushy.....but not today......ummmm good! It was an "excellent choice".

We returned to Sunscape RV Park and TheHowserHouse by 7pm.......after driving a few extra miles to purchase some diesel fuel.....$2.45 per gallon......and it was selling in the Casa Grande area for $2.53. And....I got an extra penny off of each gallon's price as I have a Flying J Card which gives discounts on fuel, food, etc. This last tank of gas brought me 17 miles per gallon...and that was also while I was towing the last 150 miles into Casa Grande........of course, we were coming down in altitude which helped with the better mileage.....and I have only driven on flat, desert highways for the last 270 miles of that same tank full. Outside of this tank, I have averaged around 9.5 gallons to the mile as I towed TheHowserHouse from southeast Missouri to the Rio Grande Valley and then out here to Arizona.

Well.....from somewhere we are on the receiving end of a rather quick and suprisingly hard rain storm.......and with the winds howling across the desert, I quickly ran outside and put the flower pots full of petunias that were on our drink tables onto the concrete patio to keep them from being blown over. The rain sounds nice as it makes interesting rhythms on the rubber roof of TheHowserHouse.......good for sleeping.

And speaking of sleeping I am going to bring this to a close as I must get my sagging ass out of the horizontal position at 5AM in the morning so that we can fight the horrendous traffic into the center of Phoenix where Sky Harbor International Airport is located. It is a wonderful facility.....as I have flow in and out of there four times in the past four years as I visited out here each winter. The website for Sky Harbor is really, really wonderful.....and so user-friendly!!!!! What a joy it has been to use this website as we prepare to go up there in the early, early morning!!!

OK...... A VERY HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY TO EVERYONE!!!!!! And....as always......

Life is GREAT.....and I hope it is for all of you, also!!!!

No comments: