Friday, May 13, 2005

Enjoy the morning? Nope...work to do

How in the world did I get everything done when I was working fulltime......no, MORE than fulltime. The world of public school band directing is NOT a 40 hour per week occupation......it is a job that never ever is finished. There are always rehearsals to hold for performances that are to be given, individual and small groups of students to work with and prepare them for solos, ensembles, and in the long haul.....they are getting prepared to be a better player in the band. So, back to my original question: How did I get it all done here at home during those 30 years???

Well, the answer is: I didn't!!! Soooo, it just went undone and the tasks/projects/work just stared at me everytime I would walk by.....I would see that it was crying out to me to finish these projects/tasks, but the students were making more crys for assistance, so that is where I went and what I did. During those 30 years of teaching in three different school districts, I seemed somehow to create my own monster at school (the band), and then it would invariably consume me!! I could never get away from it and, consequently, my duties at home went undone, for the most part. I have never figured out how an individual can be a successful band director and not let it interfere with a home life.......it is difficult.

Now....I get up this morning, it is a nice morning with a lovely breeze, and so I fix my Gevalia coffee, which just arrived, and head to the patio to enjoy the peacefulness of the morning. BUT....what do I see??? More plants begging, wilting.......those that I have not yet put into pots or the ground......and instead of students crying out for help, it is now those damn plants that I brought home and that are stuck in their too-tight little containers that cannot hold water. I just watered them yesterday.....and today their brilliant flowers are not so brilliant any more.....but bowing down and asking for help (plant religion??). Soooo, instead of sitting and sipping, I get busy......cleaning out the fountain(ooops....did I tell you that the bowl of the fountain was not stolen.....hehehee....OLD AGE again.....it is all one piece and it was just upside down!!!!!!HAHAH)
Then I decide to help the praying plants and repot them, fertilize them, and give them a good soaking bath. Hopefully, they will forgive me my sins of letting them go unattended, and will grow and flourish with flowers to brighten my patio!!!!! Sure.........

Now, it is off to our itsy-bitsy WalMart to pick up some things that I/we cannot live without!! Can't wait.......a new Super WalMart is being built here in town........will the town "boom" now that we have that??? Well,.......we'll see, won't we?

So........I'll be back......
AND, here I am....

WM was packed with shoppers......it isn't Christmas....wonder why soooo many people!! Anyway, as I squeezed thru the very, very narrow aisles, I managed get the things I just had to have. Sure WM is very happy that I spent a bit more of my retirement money with them!!!!! Soon, I may have to become a "door greeter".....at least I qualify with my age!!

Headed north when the 1st Lady of TheHowserHouse gets home from school. We have an event of Rachel's to attend.....her gifted program's fund-raiser, I believe. School is almost over for everyone, including our school.......next week is the last week for students and then graduation is the following week. Better close this and get a few things ready to head north. More at a later date/time......

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am REALLY hoping you got your medicinal needs taken care of; my folks went through enormous amounts of red tape to import (for personal use) 2 or 3 cases of "medicine" when they crossed into Baja. THe aduana had never come across such honest folk and after a confusing moment after moment after moment decided to wave them through sans import duty. YMMV. :)

Nice website! You have a BEAUTIFUL family and I think my dad has that same yellow shirt. :) Seriously. I know LOTS of people say that your family is beautiful, but golly, your is REALLY gorgeous. Please, as someone recently removed from the SF Bay Area (think exhorbitant real estate) DON'T tell me what the home in the picture cost. I don't even want to imagine how reasonable real estate is in Missouri. :)

You are so sweet to be concerned about Jamie (now the realization dawns of whom is writing) and I thought I'd reply in comment cause comments are so exciting to get! :)