Wednesday, January 21, 2009

DC Day 4: A day of decades-old memories with a friend of the my past....

OMG.....when I awoke this morning, I sat up rather awkwardly.....and as I began to stand up, I realized that it might just take a crane to hoist me out of bed!!!! It was all I could do to muster up the energy and the strength to stand up.....my body ached, my bones were sooooo stiff, and it was difficult to walk across the room to my bathroom, here at Eric's home. I immediately realized that all of this aching and stiffness were from my hours on my feet as well as the shoving and pushing and tugging of the crowds of the almost two million people I had been a part of yesterday!! Slowly, I made my way into the hot shower and stood there for, perhaps, about 30 minutes as the hot water relieved some of the tightness in this sagging hulk of Me........and I realized that my advancing age, and evolving body were now telling me that I almost over-did it yesterday.....hahaha!!!

The hot coffee was already made and ready for me, as Eric and Sujeeta had already left for their respective jobs......and the house was mine in which to relax, sip coffee, and once again, continue my post on here from where I had left off last night. I wrote, thought, read, and then wrote some more this morning for about 2.5 hours, as well as post some pics on this blog of mine.

Around 11:30, my old USAF buddy, Bill Needy, arrived from Pennsylvania to spend the day with me!!!!! It has been years since we have seen each other and then on those rare occasions it would be for about 30 minutes or less. Our last time together for any length of time was back in the 1980's....and so began........a day full of talk, of laughs, of memories of our times in the USAF, and discussions and pictures of the progression of our families. OH WHAT FUN!!!!!!

About 1pm, we paused.....and walked a couple of blocks to have lunch at a sandwich place.....where we continued our talks and our laughter. Upon leaving after over an hour, we did inquire with the server if we owed some rent on the table!!!

Returning to Eric's home(his son), we once again continued from where we had left off....and by the time Eric and Sujeeta arrived back home, we were almost hoarse from all of the talking we had done all day long!!!! A bit later, all four of us went to a local cafe, much like an Applebee's, but quite a bit better quality of food. I had grilled grouper on a bed of mash cauliflower.....like mashed potatoes, and some salad greens with grilled roasted red peppers. Dessert was apple pie with pecans and ice cream. I had a glass of Cabernet to accompany my entree, and coffee....very good, I might add, with my dessert. A great meal.....and great fun!

Returning to Eric's home, Bill left for his home in PA......about a two hour drive. It was soooooo wonderful to see him again.....and to spend an entire day with each other. Oh.....we did make a call to the third friend that former our illustrious trio while in the USAF......Terry Wood of Greybull, Wyoming. Years have gone by since we were all together in person.....the last time was 1968!!!!! So, our conversation on the phone with the speaker on was an amazing reunion, albeit by phone!!!

And soooo, the last day of a trip that will never be forgotten..........the day yesterday being one of, if not THE, most important event in my Life! A wonderful trip....and several incredible days. Tomorrow, I take the Metro into Union Station, the Amtrak to Philadelphia, a plane to Houston, Tx, and then another flight on to Harlingen, TX. And then.......our little group is off to Progreso, Mexico, for the day! The fun never stops..............

LIFE IS JUST REALLY INCREDIBLE!!!!!.....And, I hope it is for all of you, also!!!!

No comments: