Wednesday, January 21, 2009

CONTINUING THE PREVIOUS POST.....START BELOW ON THE POST TO READ IT FIRST!!!!!!!

Heading through the darkness, I knew that I had to locate the entrance to the tunnel for I-395 where it had been closed for walking traffic to the other side of the Mall. Ok.....I found it without too much difficulty due to the blocked streets that you couldn't get across or down or into. Sooo, off I went down into the lighted tunnel on the interstate, thoughts going through my head about safety for myself, what I might find down there, etc., etc. Well, it was well-lit, but, DAMN...there were no other people walking .....no one down there. I could see it was a long way to the eventual darkness....but, began walking. As I continued I then realized that it was only the southbound side that was closed and as the southbound and northbound came together, there were cars on the other side. BUT....I was the only walker!

So, I walked and walked and after 20 minutes, perhaps....I could see the exit for 3rd Street...the one I needed. At times, this was just like some damn movie........a movie where you are the only one left in the world....just you and the empty cities of the world!!!! WOW.....what an experience this was down there in the interstate tunnel!!!!

Coming up to ground level, I continued to follow the road/street and then got my bearings and found about 6 blocks later, the entry point which I had located yesterday(Monday). And there was a line of people, over 100, of which the first ones had arrived at 11pm. Sleeping on the ground, covered in ponchos, etc., etc. I found my way to the end of the line, which very, very quickly not the last one in line. And the wait began.................................

By 4am, the subways had started again.....and the stop closest to me began to erupt people....hundreds, than thousands began to arrive.......and we began to fight for out "place" on the street close to the entry gate. We soon realized that it was no longer a line, but a group...and then a large group.....and then it was A HUGE THRONG of people waiting for the gate to open for security checks and then into the viewing area. It was DAMNED COLD.....I WAS SHIVERING, even as a Dough-boy,...........but, standing now with sooooo many others around you, it blocked the chilling wind, and of course, everyone was talking and telling their stories!!!

About 7am, activity began and soon the gate was open, having to show your tickets, and then another wait began for the TSA to open the security gates. I began to think.....shit, how was I going to empty all of my pockets, my little black case, etc., etc. However, around 8am, the rush began as they opened the security lines. Luckily, they hardly looked at anything, no machines to sniff or scan you, no dogs to sniff your body, but just a casual look at your "stuff", and then a quick "pat-down", and I WAS IN!!!!!!.....Others ahead were running, and I began to run as fast as I could have standing since way before 2am(in the station)...I was soooo damn stiff.....and as I got going, attempting to hold onto everything, I ran to the front getting into the second row which had formed but I was next to the fenced area where the Handicapped" were to be wheeled, carried, helped into for their viewing area. We were on the west side of the reflecting pool (of ice) and looking across to the chairs and statues and other stuff where the Inaugural was to take place.

Standing began again........and for the next couple of hours, we chatted, learned about those around us, laughed, etc. Than the shoving from someplace in the rear began....and soon the plastic netting fence began to give as we were shoved forwards!!!! It went down and the rush began to get to the front by the next plastic fence!!!! I lost ground and was a bit further back, but could still see because those in front of me were SHORT!!!! YEA!!!! Then the pushing began from the rear...again. And, soon that fence went down to the ground!!!!

Again, we rushed, BUT.....God forbid, we were in the Handicapped area. So, we attempted to be careful so that those who were there in that section legally, could still see across the pool of ice.
By this time, there was not control, but I got to a good viewing area.....and STOOD MY GROUND!.

And then music began, I could see the Jumbotrom across the pool of ice....and then all of the ceremonies began about 10:30am. WOW...WOW...WOW....I was there to experience this once in a Lifetime historical event!!!! I could see the official area of the Capitol where the event was taking place.......not close enough to see faces, but I could see the movements on the "stages"....and sooooooo much was going through my mind: my place here, where I had come from, my college experiences in the early 1960's with attending a former all black(Negro) state college, my experiencs there with my black friends, the three-restroom places, my picketing for days to open and integrate the bowling allies for my black friends, my eating at counters where my friends could not sit, all of these things came pouring out of my mind ....and the mental visuals of these memories began to block my viewing of the transpiring events.....and the tears began to run down my cold cheeks.......tears of the past, tears of now, tears of what I was doing here and had far I had come, and how far our marvelous country had come!!!!!

This was something I had never experienced, I was viewing and hearing and seeing events happening that had never happened, nor even possibly imagined that would happen in my Lifetime. It was almost overwhelming me!!!!!!! Things I had worked for for sooooo much of my Life was all coming to fuition right now.......my feelings were just beyond description then....and right now(on Wed morning). And, as I write these events of yesterday that will become my memories for the remaining years of my Life........I can barely see this computer monitor for the tears that are washing my eyes and dripping off of my chin!!!!

No use to describe the events that all of you saw, or can see, of the Inaugural. Probably saw it much better than I did on the Jumbotrom and as I viewed the Capitol across the pool of ice, but I was THERE.....I had these experiences!!!!!! I was in the making of these historical moments!!!! My great-great grandfather had come to Missouri in the early 1800's with seven slaves and began the Howser history in Missouri with those slaves as part of his ownership.....those seven lives that he OWNED.......and yet, here I was....taking part of this moment when the first African-American was taking the oath of office for the President of the United State of America.......highest position in our country, and in the world!!!! I was here.....I was there!!!!

Following the closing of the ceremonies....the millions, literally...began to leave the National Mall....and I headed, pushed, shoved, thrust this way and that way, in these throngs that were headed for the Metro, the only way to return to VA and my friend's home where I was staying. About a half block from the Metro entrance, the throngs became gridlocked....and we slowly inched forward...shoulder to shoulder, chest to back of others, sideways sometimes, thrust backwards at other times, but always......people helping others as the elderly(not me) began to stagger under this pressure of thousands of bodies all trying to get to the Metro entrance and to a train to get them home. After about 1.5 hours, I reached the entrance, stumbled my way down the stopped escalators, and then began the wait for a train.......one that was not stuffed like a sardine can,......and finally after another 45 minutes below ground, I got on a train....one that I had selected whereby I would not need to make a transfer and have to wait again to board another one. Within an hour.....the trains were running very, very slowly, I was back in Annandale, VA....about 10 miles from the National Mall....and Eric soon came to pick me up.

A great evening of warmth, a BATHROOM, COFFEE, CHILIE, and a BED!!!!!!!!! And, now I will close this, probably more will come to my mind and I will make addendums to this, but for now, on this New Day on Wednesday......I will close this!!!

What can I say........nothing, except that:

LIFE IS JUST ABSOLUTELY OMG INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.....And, I hope it is for all of you, someway, somehow!!

1 comment:

Megan said...

Reading this brought tears to my eyes, Mr. Howser. The way you wrote made me feel like I was there with you! Thank you SO MUCH for sharing.