Tuesday, November 01, 2005

A BEAUTIFUL day for November

Yep...the above says it all: Gorgeous!!! Deep blue sky, no clouds, warming temps as the sun rises, and incredible colors of the foliage. After the rains of yesterday, this morning I returned the patio chairs' seat cushions....and before long, I was sipping a hot cup of Fr. Roast coffee. Of course, this was following an early morning phone call from the newest Howser-influenced young band director. It is always great to have a wake-up call from a former student and to discuss their days and successes and problems!!!

But......after talking with....as the high school females used to call him...."cute ass", I removed myself to the patio for the coffee. Then...I decided to get some work done....so I cleaned the microwave of the all of the spatterings that occur in that little enclose area....and then I thought I would turn on the self-cleaning oven and let it clean itself instead of me scrubbing for hours. BUT....I wanted to be certain that I was doing the right thing the right way.....so I needed the stove's instruction book. Could I find it anywhere????? Well, of course not!! I looked everywhere, searching filing cabinets, drawers, cookbook bookcase, etc., etc. Sooooo, I gave up on that idea until a later date.

After lunch, I finished loading up all of my not needed books from our life-long collection and hauled them down to the town library. A Donation!!!! Soooo, I made about five trips from the truck to the Library carrying the books in a large laundry basket......no boxes could be found!! I must have donated about 100 books......all hardback. I have spent the last 2-3 weeks sorting and looking and deciding if I wanted to give up this book, or that book, or keep them, or......... And, I finally said "to hell with it" and kept only a very few of my books. I have read them all, I won't read them again,and so why not share them with others who might not have the funds to purchase them.

I prepared dinner for the 1st Lady; Chilean salmon filets with a real butter/lemon juice/mustard basting sauce, parsley(fresh from my herb garden) potatoes, and......don't turn up your nose.........brussel sprouts cooked enough to heat them through ....al dente....but NOT mushy!! They are then tossed in a butter sauce before serving them. All of this was accompanied by vino medications.

After a quick cleanup, I hurried over the local Catholic church to attend a concert presented by the local high school choirs. I was very impressed with the quality of the performance.....really good. And....the setting for the concert was the best in our community. The church is beautiful in it's simplicity, but the alcove behind the alter is stupendous: gold mosaics that shimmer with the spotlights on them.......wonderful. The acoustics in the church are great for a vocal performance........it was a really nice hour!!!! And...the choir director is a former student of mine.

As best as I can count(and remember), I have 38 former students who are now making their lives in the music field. Most of them are band directors, however, there a few who are professional musicians........and all seem to be having a good Life. Pretty cool!!

Sooooo.....Life IS Good.....and I hope for all of you, also!!!

No comments: