Sunday, September 04, 2005

NOTHING better than seeing former EHS Band Family members!!!!!

Well....after days of surreal tragedy along the Gulf Coast and in that wonderful city of New Orleans......tonight was REALLY special!!!! The 20th year reunion of the Eldon HS Class of 1985.

I drove to Eldon this morning, leaving a bit later than I had planned as I couldn't tear myself away from the tellie.....and the program: Meet the Press on NBC. Soooo, I arrived in the old home town around 1pm and went to the old homestead there in town. Spent the afternoon visiting with the 92 year old EverReady battery......my mother. She just keeps going and going and going.......with such a wonderful positive attitude, a mind of a young adult, but a body structure that is beginning to fail.....her spine. BUT.....off she goes around the house holding onto and pushing a "tea cart" upon which she carries all her necessary items.....her reading material, her TELEPHONE, and other such goodies that she needs where ever she goes. Her legs no longer are realiable for her stability, but with the "tea cart" she can go anywhere, albeit rather slowly. As usual when I walked in the door, she was in HER chair in front of the tv. She is an avid Cardinal fan, Mizzou basketball fan, and any other sport that has been around as long as she has.

We spent the afternoon visiting, looking at my pictures on my lappie....especially my granddaughters. Then after me catching up on the events down south.....I got ready to go to the reunion. Not quite sure what to expect.......no matter how close you are to students 20-24 years ago, things do change......or so I THOUGHT!!!

It was WONDERFUL!!!!!!!! First off, some of the teachers of that time period were also there, and it was a great reunion for just us OLD senior citizens. Even my Am. History teacher when I was in high school here in Eldon as a STUDENT was there: John Dowler.

But, the highlight was seeing my former students who have grown and matured and are all beautiful people!!!! It was as if the past 20 years had just disappeared into thin air..........we were all right back talking about band, the band trips, the frogs in the Holiday Inn in Orlando, forgetting the banner before a very important parade, and certain students being late exiting Disney World, and having to carry over 100 individuals suitcases to and from the buses into the hotels as punishment for being late!! We laughed, we hugged, we were family once again. It was wonderful to meet their spouses, hear about their families, and just to be together again.

This was one of the best evenings I have had.......well, I don't know how long it has been since I have enjoyed myself sooooooooooo much!!!!! THANK you to all of you who are responsible for inviting me...and the other faculty members. I, personally will never forget this evening.

I have some pictures that I took, but in getting ready to download them onto here, I discovered I didn't bring the correct cable.....soooo, for those of you who are looking for your pics to be put into cyberspace, it will have to wait until tomorrow when I get home. Never fear....Howser is here, and will get the job done.

Soooo, I close this with a smile on my face.....and wonderful memories racing through my mind after this evening's reunion!!!!

No comments: