Thursday, September 01, 2005

Katrina's fury will affect us all...

All of us are victims of this storm........as gas prices go up, the price of food will go up as so much came into the ports of N. Orleans.....including my necessary staple: coffee!! AND......so many items that we haven't thought about because all we hear about is gasoline. Gas is even becoming hard to find in many areas of the country that weren't even hit by the wild bitch, Katrina.

Fingers are being pointed and will continue to be pointed as this tragedy becomes more and more evident to us. From my standpoint, it is difficult to understand why things haven't moved faster, however, I do realize that I am wearing only my shoes and walking in only my shoes.........I do not know what all of the agencies have to do to mobilize and get assistance to the needy. Sooooo, I will not say more....

The picture: These beautiful goblets were sent to me by a cyberspace friend. All winter I have been following a blog that "Kathy" has been writing as she, her husband Jamie, and their four young children slowly tour all of Mexico pulling their travel trailer. It has been such an eye-opener to that wonderful country........and believe me, from what I have been reading, and the pictures that I have been seeing, the average U.S. citizen has no idea of the beauty of that country......AND the beauty of the citizens of Mexico. All we hear are the negatives about those who are crossing into our country illegally......and I understand how the American people feel about these millions of Mexicans who are coming across the border......illegally. But.......we are not seeing or hearing about the millions and millions of wonderful citizens of Mexico who live in their beautiful country and who have a great culture and wonderful arts and are sooo friendly to Americans. Ok....enough sermonizing.

Kathy has been collecting this type of pottery, Talavera, since she first saw the beauty of it......and so, one day the postman delivered this box and voila.......these gorgeous wine goblets emerged from the most interesting paper packaging: Kathy's children's pencil and crayon drawings!!!!! What a cool way to pack the glasses!!! I know I have expressed my thanks, but once again......KATHY...THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH!!!! As I told her, we have to meet someday....perhaps on the road in our RV's......so that I can personally thank her for the goblets and for the wonderful blog she writes: http://www.hopalog.com/

Once again....the tellie is showing the horrific conditions the refugees of N.Orleans are experiencing........makes me ill, but even more, it ANGERS me beyond belief. If these people lived in an upper, or, first class area/neighborhood of any city, believe me......the people would not be having to live in the filth and horrible conditions in some domed convention center/sports complex for days without any assistance!! They are poor, they are mostly black, they are not well educated, and they were in an economic condition that for the most part would not allow them to leave the city before Katrina arrived.......they couldn't afford to get out of town. Now......I am certain the media is showing the horrible parts of what is happening, but I have seen enough to believe how terrible things are down there. Ok......enought of my second sermon........I guess.....I guess I am just really upset about all of this!!!!! And to think......Fats Domino is missing in N.O.

Sooooo, until tomorrow......we'll see what tomorrow brings.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

John, you are too kind. Truly. Now I'm off to get info on Katrina. You've been innundated with news; we have heard absolutely nothing.