Friday, August 19, 2005

What a GREAT lunch!!

Ahhhh, today I awoke remembering that I had a luncheon engagement with a former student......a foreign exchange student who was here in school five years ago and as he played the trumpet, he joined the Marching Blackcat Band. Christoph flew over here from Germany last week to participate in the wedding of a friend who was also in band here and whose wedding I attended in Illinois last Sunday evening. As he is leaving this part of the state this afternoon and flying back to Germany on Monday afternoon we set today to spend a couple of short hours playing "catch-up".

I picked him up at the home of his host parents when he went to school here. We then returned to town and lunched at the Madison County Coffee Co......the only REAL coffee shop in the city center of our little community. And......I pity the patrons who sat close to us..... as we never came to a period in our talking about our lives over the past five years. He is now in a university in Germany studying to become a mechanical engineer. After listening and questioning him about his studies there, it appears they have an excellent education program at the university he is attending. Interesting to hear about all of the tests, both after a semester and BEFORE the new semester begins.

As an aside......he said he thought about studying to become a teacher, but that in Germany the students in the schools there become worse and worse each year.......and that the German parents really "don't care". Hmmmmm,......where have we Americans heard those statements before?????? We discussed the Asian students, of which many go to Germany to study, and he said what we Americans know.....that they are so dedicated to learning and to doing the very best they can ALL the time. Christoph also said that there are many, many students in Europe who would have come to the USA to study as foreign exchange students in high school, however, the political change and climate here in the states is going in such a different direction that many of their students do not want to come over here any more.....that they do not feel comfortable here in the states. What a sad commentary that is about the direction our country is headed now.

I am going to put in some pics from today's visit with Christoph, and will continue the remainder of today's post, Friday, later this evening.

Friday evening:

WOW.....the afternoon just disappeared, dinner was consumed,and now it almost 9pm. I have been researching some family tree leads....haven't jumped into that hobby for months and months but once I get going on it, well........it is always hell bent for leather and I just cannot stop digging for info. GREAT FUN, however it becomes frustrating oftentimes.

Still enjoying the warm memories of lunch with Herr Heining. Not certain if I mentioned above that he brought a box of incredibly delicious chocolates from Germany to give to me! They are soooo wonderful and I'm certain he would not bring me anything that was fattening......hehehee.

My fingers SEEM a bit more flexible....seems like I can make a wee bit better grip even though I cannot completely close my fist as yet. Beginning to try to flex my wrist up and down......down goes further than pushing it up. I'm certain that I will be able to predict any rains that we will be having where ever I go for the rest of my life!

Mike and Merrie: Are you guys alive????? Has school consumed you completely....already????

I am carrying a large disappointment this week: Two good friends(married w/4 children) were in the state and in Eldon this week(from the Wash. DC area) and I was never able to get up there to spend some time with them....at least have lunch. They were both GREAT band students....Marching Mustangs.....and are like close relatives with me, so it has been bothersome that circumstances have prevented me from going up there this week for a day. They are not avid readers of this site......too many parental duties....so I will have to give them a call about my absence. Seems that I am always spending some time with former students.......and what a real joy that is!!!

Ok.....this day's ramblings has gone on long enough that most of you may fallen asleep or just cancelled me out, so......until later!

No comments: