Thursday, August 18, 2005

It's OFF......and it is weaker and more painful than expected

Yep.....that's right.....I no longer have to wear a damn garbage bag on my arm when I take a shower!! But....I am still a bit disabled.....my fingers are so stiff that I cannot close my fist, I cannot yet bend my wrist up very far at all, nor down for that matter, and it STILL appears to be swollen at the wrist when compared to my good ole leftie(I will never criticize my left hand again.....it did soooo much for me over the past 8 weeks). So, I am a bit depressed, to say the least.

The orthopedic guy told me to "be sure I don't have to put a lot of pressure on my hand, wrist, arm" over the next two weeks.....in other words, "don't fall again". Then he gave me some exercises to do......but not until after the next two weeks. I knew it would be weak, however I never thought it would be quite as painful as it is......in some positions. I have been squeezing a rubber ball off and on all afternoon....attempting to regain 100% use of my fingers....think they are just stiff from lack of motion for two months. BUT.....if the wrist continues to give me trouble, well......I will return to some Dr for some advice and help. It is THAT important to me......I need as much range of motion, in all directions, as I can get from a Dr. or physical therapist.

Don't know what I expected, but it certainly wasn't this. Oh well, hell......surely it isn't just old age, is it??? But....."Success comes in CANS....Failure comes in can'ts".......right?????? I WILL play that black grand piano sitting in my living room again!!!

TheHowserHouse HAS to get back on a stricter low cal diet......I actually didn't gain any weight during the first 7 weeks of our journey out west, BUT after the next 2 weeks wandering around here in Missouri and over to Indiana, I gained FOUR lbs.......and that HAS to GO!!!! And it WILL!!!! I have some travels to make next month and during the fall and the winter and the spring and......forever, and I will not put on weight while eating at the wonderful local eateries.

We are beginning to discuss the Christmas vacation from school, and where we will head off to. The 1st Lady has a trip yet to plan and execute for October with her sister......to some exotic island, or perhaps down to Mexico's beaches. I have to go over to Indiana (New Castle..just 35 east of Indianapolis) for the warranty repair on the RV the day after Labor Day weekend. Then in late Sept we are going to attend the Central Division Rally of the Cedar Creek RV Club down at Branson for 3-4 days. Thanksgiving???....well, it is always soooo expensive to fly somewhere over those four days that we may not go anywhere "special" during that long weekend. I really need to take a few days and run over to Wash DC area to visit a cousin whom I think soooo much of, and who is fighting a battle with liver cancer.....not certain just when as of yet.

In Jan or Feb or March, I will most likely make my winter pilgrimage to Arizona to thaw out from Missouri's cruel winter. Not certain if I will drive or fly this time.....??? Will have to see how the gas prices and airline fares compare.... We usually go to Miami Beach for the Easter break, but with Jay now living in Indiana I'm not certain if we will go down there or not..........might just go anyway, as we absolutely love it there!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ahhhhh, the mind wanders while sitting here writing about what is ahead and around the bend......I don't even need "coffee table travel books" as I can visualize the places where I want/need to go, and will go. (Success comes in Can's). There are a few MUSTS to see before I get toooooo old to go jaunting around the world: Egypt, an African Safari, a return trip to Thailand, Rio, and New Zealand. And, if a chance to go anywhere else pops up, then.....yep, let's go! I have a couple of free trips to Europe including flight and hotel, so those will be on the agenda: Prague/Budapest and perhaps stretch it on down to Istanbul.

I KNOW I was an explorer in one of my previous Lives......no doubt about it!

Sooo, while I salivate thinking about all of this, I will sign off for now. Plus....I HAVE to squeeze that damn rubber ball for another hour.

Later.....

No comments: