Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Today?? A bit of variety.....

Up at 6AM this morning.....why???? I really don't have a clue. The 1st Lady got up earlier than usual and that woke my aging body from being in a full, relaxed recline position to my old, crooked toes hanging over the side of the bed as I attempted to defy gravity and haul my ass out of bed! Somehow......I WAS successful and was soon ambulatory and moving oh-so-slowly across the hardwood floors to the depository room..........You know which room! BUT.......I was told to "get lost" until the 1st Lady had prepared herself to meet the world.....and her students. Sooooo, I went and ground some new Starbucks French Roast coffee beans.....and after carefully measuring out 1/4 cup of powdery black coffee bean "dust", I added the cold water to the 8 cup level.....and with my bony finger, I pressed "Start". AHHHHHHHHHHH......the aroma of that dark, brown liquid after having being pushed through that brown powder really got my mind cranking, and soon I was ready for the day to begin!

The same old daily routine then began.....and before long I was enjoying my steaming, hot, dark coffee as I checked my email.....and read three newspapers online. As the morning progressed I made my list for a trip to the city center of our small community. Completing the list, I left TheHowserHouse on Buford Heights and headed down the hill. After several quick stops......wellllll, perhaps NOT soooo quick......as every place I stopped I ran into people that wanted to visit, learn more about my Life(why?), and our plans for her upcoming retirement.

But....after an hour and a few minutes, I was headed back to the stick and brick. Our contractor was there and so a discussion ensued concerning a misunderstanding.....not on the same page......about the entrance from the living room into the family room. A rather costly mistake which neither one of us could ,nor would, accept the blame for........it was just a total 100% misunderstanding between the two of us about my concept of what I really wanted. The entrance to the family room....the new entrance......is one step down from the living room.....and I wanted the hardwood floor of the living room to extend, on the same level, into the family room for about 14", and then a halfway step built and then down to the level of the family room........which will give the feeling of a sunken family room as you actually would walk into the room and then step down into it. BUT.......things weren't happening that way. Sooooo, after a non-confrontational discussion, our contractor began preparations to correct the mistake.

Then....I began painting the ceiling of the bedroom......and not enjoying the aromatic paint fumes which have been doing strange, un-natural things to my head. Ventilating the room as well as I could, I managed to get the job done in a little over an hour.......and actually wound up not feeling very bad.

Then just as I was finishing, I had a guest at the door to talk to me about some school related business.......since I am on the local Board of Education for the school district. This took over an hour with discussion, question and answers, and more discussion. Ahhhhh, the responsibilities of a person who wins the election!!

Soon it was time to prepare dinner......something I had not done with much regard for a few weeks since we have been in such a mess.....without even a table upon which to wine and dine. But.....I browned three VERY thick pork chops.....almost two inches thick......., added some chicken broth to the skillet, and then let them simmer for about 1.25 hours......all the while preparing broccoli to be steamed, and baby carrots to be cooked. Oh yes.......a loaf of French Bread was inserted into the oven so that it would be done by the time I took out the chops, and added some wine to the broth to reduce over high heat, to use as an au jus(sp?) for the meat and hot bread. Oh yes........the dark red medicine was necessary for the proper digestion of this meal!!!!

Hurrying to clean the kitchen, I made it just in time for 1. American Idol; 2. House; 3. The Amazing Race!!!!!
Soooo, with all of that good food properly ingested......after three hours of watching all of the above, my aging posterior which is under a heavy pulling from the ever-increasing gravity (does that have something to do with "global warming"?)......well, it seems to have spread wider across the sofa as the evening has lengthened into the dark night!!! I may have to get some type of sling just to remove my body from this sofa and get to the bedroom.........ahhh, the wonders of aging!!

Soooo, .........not matter if I can't get up off of the sofa........

Life IS Great.......and I hope it is for all of you, also!!!!

No comments: