Wednesday, March 22, 2006

A day from my past career.....

Hmmmm, do you have any idea about that title??? Well, today was the SE Missouri District Music Festival where the choirs and bands perform for festival ratings. Plus, the piano solo competition was also held today. Sooooo, off I headed to Cape Girardeau to the Southeast MO State University campus to listen, to mentally adjudicate the performances, and also hear my piano student perform his solo for the judge.

It was an enjoyable day......a chance to see other colleagues from my former profession, to see friends who have retired, and to listen/watch the performances, including my "old" band from the local school here. There are not many students left in the band that I started on their horns.......but, it is always great to see them. They ALWAYS coming running over to talk and visit.

My piano student received a "I" rating....the highest possible. This allows him to move on to the MO State Music Festival in late April. I was told by the judge that his performance was the best one the entire day.....he is a very fine pianist!!! I am very proud of him......if only there were more students like him.....both musically and academically!!!!!!!

My.....notice I say "my"......H.S. band didn't do quite as well as they had hoped for. They only recieved a "II" rating........I thought they sounded well balanced and that there were some very positive things happening in the performance. BUT.....as always, music adjudication is always a subjective opinion and not everyone agress with each other in instances such as this. I do enough "judging" myself around the state, so I know how difficult it is to be objective.......almost impossible in the music field. We all hear music differently!!!! This is the first time the F'town band hasn't received a "I" rating since.....I believe......1989. But....as I said.....everyone hears it differently.

Tomorrow I will be heading over to the Lake of the Ozarks area where my almost 93 year old mother lives.....by herself. Sooooo, I need to go visit her......I don't get over often enough. Will probably stay a couple of days......and then get back here to the paint brush!!

Sooooo, after a day of seeing old friends, hearing some good music,and losing myself in the memories that I have from my life-long career......as always:

Life is Great......and I hope it is for all of you, also!!!

No comments: