Friday, December 23, 2005

Twas the night before the night before Christmas....

Yep....one more day, tomorrow, to get things done in preparation for the annual Christmas celebration and gift giving.......the BIG DAY for all of the little ones awaiting the arrival during the night of the large man in the red suit.

But....today the man in the red suit came a bit early in Eldon, MO. I left here about 6:15 AM, drove to St Louis and picked up our granddaughter Rachel, and then drove on out to Eldon to spend the day with the "ever ready battery"....my 92 year old mother. The 1st Lady was still tooo sick to make the trip, however, our son Jeremy, drove over from Evansville, IN, to join the family. My sister and her s.o.(significant other), my niece and her daughter,and plus her mother-in-law, and later a former student of mine all gathered at the little house where my sister and I grew up and where my mother as lived for over 50 years.

A HUGE order of pizzas and breadsticks were brought in for munching at our luncheon prior to the opening of gifts. But....the best part of the day was the visiting and laughing and telling of stories of recent and long ago times. Mom does soooooo well for 92......I actually believe her mind is sharper and more accurate than my mind is right now!!! While she loves to look at the thousands of pictures she has accumulated over the many years, she is also VERY, VERY up-to-date with the goings and comings of ALL of her family and their friends.......and all with a wonderful open mind to everyone's lives and problems.....nothing shocks her at this age because she has seen and experienced soooo much since 1913. She is a rare jewel that can never be replaced.......a real "one of a kind"!!!

By late afternoon, the small house had suddenly become a bit larger as little by little the many talkative occupants began to drift back to their own dwellings........many with things to get done before Dec. 25th. Jeremy left for Fredericktown prior to Rachel and I.....and he did get down here before I did. I came back through STL to drop off Rachel, and then grabbed a Starbucks grande cappuccino before turning south for our little town in the valley. By the time I got back down here I had driven over 450 miles, visited for about six hours, and ate toooo much pizza.

The 1st Lady's tummy flu urged on a LARGE migraine sometime today and so she was in bed STILL when I arrived back home about 8:30pm. Hope she gets better by morning......as there are some presents to be wrapped, and THAT is not my forte!!!! But.....it will just take her some time to recover from a severe bout of the intestinal flu AND a huge migraine.

Sooooo, my sagging old body is dragging as well as sagging, so I will close this little report, and as usual........

LIFE IS GREAT......and I hope for all of you, too!!! Don't forget: Success comes in Cans, Failure comes in Can'ts!!!

No comments: