Sunday, December 11, 2005

Cloudy....and the snow melted!!

YEAH.....the snow is gone as the temps went up overnight........GREAT! Today....well, we slept in a bit toooooo long and didn't get to church this morning. So....something unusual.....I fixed breakfast for the two of us.......I am NOT a breakfast eater, but this morning it just seemed right to be lazy and have breakfast in our garden room overlooking the patio.

This afternoon....well, I attended the high school "Holiday Concert".......the name having been changed a few years ago because of a religious group within our community that does not celebrate Christmas within their church. It was good to hear the band....hadn't heard it this year......but, it is mucho smaller...about half the size as when I was directing it. Quantity does not mean quality, I know....but there are other factors which have to be accounted for in having a band.......more on that later.

As to this business of using the word "holiday" versus "Christmas"..........everyone has their own opinion and some are deep rooted feelings about it, I know! But.....my own feelings are that we are a country of great diversity and it is just this diversity that makes us soooo great!!!! Historically, Christmas did not become a holiday in this country until 1877, only 128 years ago......not that long ago to me since I have lived almost half of that amount of time. (I have been a life-long Methodist, having joined the church when I was in the 8th grade.) Having traveled throughout the world and having experienced so many different cultures.......there are many religions in the world, and there are many different religions in our great country......of which I respect very much. We each have our own religious days which mean much to all of us and they should each be respected by all of us, after all.........we are not a theocracy....and I certainly hope we will never become a theocracy!!!!!!! I think this begs the question that many oftentime use: "What would Jesus say?" And you know what he would say......."Happy Hannukah!" Sooooo, I see nothing wrong with "Happy Holidays" because it does encompass many important days for several religions, all of which are important in our country and the world!!! I will get off of my soapbox now.......

SURVIVOR!!!! Yeah....Danni won. I'm a bit surprised, but I never wanted Stephanie to win from the "git-go". As the show progressed I was hoping Rafe would win it......but that wasn't to be.....and so I did hope Danni won tonight as she is Kansas City girl!! And now......on to the finale of The Amazing Race!!!!!

There are more Tales from Thailand (and other countries), but you will have to "hold your breath" because tonight is not the night.........the religious discussion above has brought out some of my more "open-minded" viewpoints and this in turn has my memories suring forward about Buddhism in Thailand and my wonderful, warm experiences and conversations with some of the Buddhist monks while I was there. I also experienced some great contacts with the Hindus during a short 3 day trip to Calcutta during that time period.

Sooooo, I will close for this evening.......and as always:

Life is GREAT.....and I hope for all of you, also......including Doug and Juanita!! Goldie.....coffee tomorrow morning(Monday)??? You know my number......

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen!...er...I mean, right-on dude!

Doug & Juanita
Santa Rosa
(toward Thailand from you)

Anonymous said...

Hey John, Just read your blog for the first time. It's great to hear about the ongoings at FredMO and in your life. Really enjoyed the discussion regarding X-mas, Holiday terms. Keep up the great work - and yes...Life is Great!

- Brian McKenney