Friday, December 09, 2005

Too much snow-no school-1st Lady home all day!!

Yeah.....our first school snow day in TWO years!!!! Last year there was hardly a trace of snow here so it turned out to be the first year without a snow day in my ENTIRE lifetime!!!! I had never seen a winter without having a snow day.....in all of my years as either a student or being in the academic life. BUT......I certainly hope this first snow is not an indication of the full winter this year.....UGH!!!!! (no global warming here...haha)

Not certain where the day went to.....we did receive news that our closest friends, Dave and Sue.....well, his father passed away. They currently are working as a catastrophic insurance adjusters in southern Florida, so they were to fly back to town today for tomorrow's services. They are sooooo busy down there as there are simply not enough adjusters available to take care of all of the damages from all of the hurricanes this summer and fall. It is their daughter who married the man who is from Turkey and whose wedding celebration we attended a couple of months ago.

We visited Mike this afternoon and were joined by our daughter-in-law, Becky. While there we met with our attorney who is handling some legal affairs for all of us.

Stopped in Farmington for a late supper......sandwiches at Steak and Shake......my FAVORITE place for hamburgers!!!! They do taste like REAL hamburgers from the kitchen frying pan!!

I've spent the last hour catching up on some emails and some new developments. Also.....had a great...really great letter from this former student of mine who had contacted me earlier this week. His successes in Life have been great......living in various places all over the world, as well as traveling to other parts of the world. He was an outstanding trumpet player for me back in the 80's.....always giving me 110% in his performances and his attitude towards our band achieving our goals. It has been soooo many years since we have interacted in each other's lives....and so it is with great interest and pleasure that we have wandered into each other's lives once again!!!! It is amazing how this happens.......because....

Just a couple of days ago, another former student from the class of '82 wrote me an email. He currently lives in the state of Washington and plans to be back in MO for the holidays. It would be super if we could get together so I could see his growing family, but not certain the dates will coincide with my holiday plans.

Thailand Tales (tails if you read last night's posts...):

One other cobra story from SE Thailand......... While living on the air base in Ubon, our shower and restroom facilities were in another building behind our three man rooms in the "dorm". Soooo, one morning I was heading out to grab a shower........not sure why now as I look back on this....I was always so damn hot and sweaty from the heat/humidity that a shower had to be taken quite often several times a day over there.
Anyway.....some other NCO came running out of the shower building with only a towel draped around him....yelling: call the MP's!!!!! It seems that he had gone inside to take a morning shower.....and as he stepped into the multi-shower faucet room, there was a LARGE King Cobra in the shower room!!!! It must have "sneaked" into the moist room during the night. Anyway......before too long the LONG snake was history!!! Sure as hell glad the other NCO was earlier than I was that morning.......there is nothing that I detest more than SNAKES!!!! Makes me now wonder why I loved, and still do love, Thailand.

I wish I could post some pics from those wonderful days of living in such an exotic country, but I always had the films developed into slides in those long-ago days. Haven't looked at them for years, but now I know I am going to have to locate the old boxes and take a look at them this winter........memories are still flooding out from the mind of this aging man.

Did I tell you that I also spent 5 months living in Korea while in Asia during those 13 months????? Lots of experiences while there......!!! Did I tell you that I had to go to an Air Force Base just outside Tokyo every two weeks for a day long meeting almost the entire time I was in Asia........been to Japan 26 times???? Did I tell you that while living in Okinawa my roommate disappeared while on a flight over Laos??? That I caught a 100 pound shark while deep sea fishing off of Okinawa???

There is a lot more to talk about from just my 13 months in Asia, 1969-70. Stay tuned, and as always......

Life is GREAT......and I hope for all of you, also!!

No comments: