Friday, April 14, 2006

A brighter room.....

Off to the city I went this morning. Called the U-Haul place in Farmington and they had a large enough trailer to do the transporting of our new sofa......sooo, I picked it up and headed up to STL.....about 60 miles north. The highway traffic was really thick and heavy.....but OMG, when I reached the South County shopping area, the backed up traffic became horrendous!!! I would have thought it was the day before Christmas had it not been almost 90 degrees......it took forever to get to the pickup location where our new sofa was waiting. And......trying to turn with a 12' U-Haul behind me was a bit tricky. But did get there, and thank goodness I had rented a trailer this large because the three peices of the sofa took up the entire.....yep, the ENTIRE....trialer.

On the way north I had called former student, Andrew Gipson and his fiance, Laura.....and after I got the sofa loaded....I parked in a vacant store's parking lot, and they picked me up. A quick trip to Penny's looking for a window curtain rod proved fruitless......nothing that would work for us. Another quick(??) trip to Pier I for the same item.......nothing. Soooo, we went for a quick lunch and a visit....before I had to start back.

Soooo, winding thru the ungodly bumper to bumper traffic to the entrance to the Interstate...it took much longer than it should and usually does. But finally got onto the 6 lanes headed south and out of town. My son, Jeremy, had said he was coming over for the weekend from Evansville so I wanted to be there when he got to our house. Also......had to make sure our contractor was still there to help me unload this heavy sectional sofa.

Arrived about 3:30 and got it unloaded and BARELY through our front entrance!!!! LOOKS GREAT!!!! The red color certainly adds a new dimension to the family room!!! Will get some pics tomorrow and post them.

Then, Jeremy arrived.....and after he cleaned up, we went back up to Farmington to a Mexican restaurant for dinner. They serve really good south-of-the-border cuisine....and good drinks!!! Had a great visit and dinner.....and then returned home. He went off to some of his friends' home for a small party of his old gang.
He has just been down to Miami Beach with his candidate........who is running for the U.S. House of Representatives in Washington. Jeremy is his campaign manager.....and has been doing a lot of traveling, as usual(wonder where he gets that gene???). He is off to NYC in a couple of weeks for some meetings.

Soooo, the 1st Lady and I are sitting here on the new red sofa, in our newly remodeled gray room, watching some movies on our new plasma tv. This room is done except for a few more items for the decor in here. Sure tired of living in the mess in the rest of the house, though!!!!!

Sooooo, after a good day, my memory comes back to remind me that my neice had to get out of her house last night, with her daughter and pets, as it was on fire. Most of the house was destroyed either by fire or by smoke and water. Must have been terrible.....and will continue to be terrible for them for a long time to come. They are just very lucky they got out ok.......as two of the firefighters were overcome by the fire and smoke and had to be transported by ambulance to the hospital during their efforts to save the house. Sure feel bad for my family members........!!!!!

But.....they were not hurt in any way.......so,.....

Life is Great.....and I hope it is for all of you, also!

No comments: