Thursday, April 13, 2006

Another technology challenging day....all of it!

WOW.....this sure the hell is NOT spring.....but SUMMER!!!!! It was 88 here today....and will be at least 90 degrees tomorrow!!!!! This just doesn't happen in Missouri in the first half of April..........has global warming reached Missouri?????????????? At this rate, I have no doubt about it. We even had to turn on the A/C for the afternoon/evening!!!!!!

Oh yeah....the title is CORRECT. I began at a bit after nine this morning, with only a partial cup of Fr. Roast infused into my blood stream......so, before long I knew that a bit more was required. Anyway.....I continued by gingerly removing the TIVO and the cable box from the main tv in the den...it had been in the family room prior to the demolition and reconstruction there. Then it was time to move it into the new family room and then it had to separated at the various umbilical cords which connected the two. Each set of connecting cords/cables had to be "fed thru" the back of each niche in the wall so that they were then on the garage side of the wall.

The contractor had designed and created the coolest "box/cabinet" on the garage side with a sliding door for the tv access and right next to it for the component access. WOW......it is wonderful!!! Completely bug/mouse proof as it is a nice and tight fit all the way around. So....then began the task of getting these "miles" of cords/cables connected to the correct component and the new plasma tv. I had the contractor put in a hookup receptacle for the telephone in the cabinet for the TIVO....and, of course, a grounded electrical receptacle for two outlets. I only need one since I got a really good Surge Protector for all of these expensive techno items.

Well.....it wasn't as easy as it is supposed to be......isn't that ALWAYS the case???? With everything???? Trial and error.....trial and error.......determined to do it myself.......more trial and error attempts.....and frustration set in. Soooo, went and got my trusty lappie and got on the TIVO website forum......and before long I had a better diagram of the needed connections. Sooooo, by almost 3pm, I had it completed and working......almost! I am still having difficulty trying to get the plasma remote to handle the cable and the tivo, or the tivo remote handling it all. Problem is that the code numbers the plasma tv instruction book gives......doesn't include one for the Motorola Cable Box that I have from our "wonderful" Charter Cable company. Tomorrow, or perhaps tonight.......I am ordering Direct TV to be installed and get rid of Charter Cable TV........will keep their internet service, but NOT the TV!!!!!!

Doug Shrader.......sure you could have done this for me by phone...had I just called you????? Larry.....perhaps you, too????? As I have written, I am one of these senior citizens of age 63 that seems to have learning disability in technology creations. However.....I DO feel good that I got all of this done today with the exception of combining the remotes into one.....or even two.

The picture on the plasma looks great.......it certainly helps bring ournew room alive!!!! Now......if only I can get a U-Haul tomorrow I will then run up to STL to pick up our new red sofa for this room. I could never reach the place in Farmington to get one today, but then I sure didn't have the time to get up to the city this evening.

Our vanity is being installed ......and should be finished tomorrow. The top we purchased at EXPO looks wonderful.......solid black thick glass which will rest/float on the custom made espresso colored vanity. Very contemporary faucet fixtures will add the final touch to this. Will tomorrow be the finish......and a tooooo big check due to our "man"?????? Stay tuned and see......

I was going to get some pics of the back side cab. of the tv/component units in the garage, but the 1st Lady must have the camera at school or in the car. She is attending her Sorority meeting tonight, so....there is still a chance I can get some pics tonight and post them!!

Anyay........as always....

Life is Great......and I hope it is for all of you, also!!!!

No comments: