Saturday, February 20, 2010

Day 51, Feb 20, 2010: A Day in the World Birding Center..

FINALLY.....after trying for four winters to get to the Bentsen-Rio Grande Valley State Park....the World Birding Center.....today was THE day!!!!!! With Doug/Diane organizing this day.....we joined them and 13 other friends of friends....and we arrived at the Park about 10:30 this morning. Today's forecast was for cloudy/sunny skies and temps in the mid-70's......and, THAT it was!!!! GREAT WEATHER DAY!!!!

With everyone bringing bikes in their trucks/on top of cars.......things were soon organized and out of the parking area we rode, many of us with small day packs with lunches, power bars, water, and cameras. Stopping at the park office, we found that since we had a large group our entrance fee would be only $3 per person.....rather than the normal $5 each. Maps were distributed around......and we soon discovered that 90% of the paths were paved and the rest were hard-packed dirt......just super for bicycling!!!

With this many it was difficult to remain all together, especially since this was Saturday and there were many families and lots of "regulars" who come daily to look for the many varieties of birds that either live here in the short trees and brush, or are stopping here on their way someplace. Soooo, we soon lost some, who would later catch up......just the normal way it is for bike riding with a group.

We made stops to do some walking trails to places constructed where we could watch/look for the birds in bird-watching blinds. Really thoughtful of the park system for doing that, as there were openings/slatted for us to photograph various birds "in action". Lots of bird feeders have been erected, small pools of water here and there, soooooo many grapefruit have been cut in half and tacked to posts to attract bugs, etc. for the birds. Just a super way of bringing in more birds!!!!!

The 1st Lady and I separated at one point as I wanted to just sit for a while.....I STILL have this horrendous chest cold which is making it difficult to take many breaths or talk for more a few sentences without hacking and coughing, a very uncomfortable way to enjoy being here in this lovely place. And then........after quite some time, I decided to move on down the path as there were many intersecting pathways and I wasn't quite sure that the group might return to where I was, as it had been quite some time. Soooo, I thought I would move down to the next intersection and perhaps they might emerge there onto the main path........but they didn't!!!! And......with my mind not working properly from this cold.....I made the mistake of moving forward and not waiting for them.

Soooo, for the next hour or more.....we just never crossed pathways!!!!! However, finally the group found me, but the 1st Lady hsf returned to the parking area thinking I was feeling really poorly and that I went back to the truck. Soooo, I biked back to the truck....nope, she wasn't there......went to the office area...and did find her sitting having a bite of lunch outside the tiny cafe that was located there. Of course.......this sagging hulk of Me had the backpack with our lunch inside...on my back!!!!!!

Hmmmm......needless to say, not only was I in the World Birding Center, but I was in the so-called...."Doghouse"!!!!!!! Soooo, we both proceeded to discuss(?) our actions in trying to get back together, using the map, but not sure of the exact times of where we were during those hour(s) when we weren't able to reconnect!!!! After much discussion..........we agreed that I was the problem for having left the bench where I said I was going to rest for a bit.....and, I supppose that is correct!

Soon, the rest of the group returned from the circle ride through the Center.....and Doug/Diane and a wonderful couple from here in Llano sat down with us and we chatted for awhile. The 1st Lady and I decided to go back into the park and attempt to see some more birds.....which we did!!! And, we saw lots of them.

While I was alone and looking for them earlier, I had made a turn around a bend in the path and there were a "group" of Javalinas.....pig-like animals.......crossing the pathway one behind the other in a single file. I did get some pictures as I stopped my bike and just stood there watching this group/herd/flock/family of Javalinas take their time walking across from side to side......a great site!!!!!!

Soooo, when the 1st Lady and I were together when we saw another one...only one.....walking down the side of the pathway, so we just stopped and watched it amble down the side of the pavement. Really great for the 1st Lady to get to see it!!!!!

I took tons of pictures....and have deleted many, not knowing at the time they were taken if they would be good enough to keep. Soooo, I will post some on here of what we/I saw during the day. It was a wonderful experience....and one we sure hope to repeat the next time we are here in the RGV!!!!!!

Leaving the Park, we stopped in Pharr at Sam's Club......she purchased four items and it took an hour to do only that!!!!! Sooooooooooo many people here in the RGV use Sam's Club, as well as Walmart!!! Really hate to have to shop at either of these places here in the Valley!!!!

Back at TheHowserHouse, we had a light supper before the 1st Lady went to the closest laundromat to take care of some of our dirty clothes. Doing what I can to destroy this chest cold.....my options are a bit limited. With the type of med that I take for my aging man's condition, I cannot combine that med....a type of Flo-max..... with any antihistimine, so I will just have to battle this out...and hopefully it will be a short run for this cold!!! A head cold I can handle, but this damn coughing from the deepest part of my lungs is sooooo difficult and irritating....and, after having had pneumonia three times, I always have a bit of worry chasing around in my aging brain!!!!

Speaking of health issues, I don't think I mentioned that this week we received the detailed statement from the hospital here in the RGV where the 1st Lady went back in early January when she was having chest pains. WELL........for the 17 hours she was in the hospital, the bill came to $41,000.00!!!!!! Yep.....that's right....forty-one thousand dollars for less than 24 hours!!!!! Each year our costs for health insurance for her, supplemental ins for me, and my monthly medicare cost......the total is $10,000 per year! Hmmmmm.........you bet we need to have some reform and changes made to our country's health care/insurance system!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And sooooo, a great day has disappeared. However, tomorrow...hopefully I feel better.....a large group of our friends are all gathering at Pepe's on the River for an afternoon of fun, music, and some dancing with a few beers!! More on this tomorrow!!

LIFE IS JUST REALLY, REALLY GREAT!!!!!!......And, I hope it is for all of you, also!!!!!!!

No comments: