Sunday, July 19, 2009

Sunday: A great day....for me!

OK....for some reason I have evolved into something that I do not like: writing every other night instead of daily!!!!! At this present time, my Life seems so....soooo...well, BLAH!!! Nothing of any interest is happening...and when I sit down to write, I think to myself....what the hell (and I have cleaned up this phrase/verbage) have I done, or has happened, that would interest anyone who reads this???????? And soooo.....yesterday???? Today????



Yesterday....I was slightly dismayed by the cloudy and windy and VERY cool weather. Yep...you heard me, you read it correctly......after all of that god-awful heat and humidity I am now writing about the cooler temps. However......I had BIG plans to clean the concrete patio yesterday, power wash the house siding, etc., etc. all dealing with the use of cold water. And.....I just was not in the mood to get my body wet in the brisk winds and very little sun for most of the day yesterday. Soooooo, I just hung out and didn't do a damn thing!!!! As I would, and have often, told my students........"May a thousand nasties fly up your nose".....as excuses are for losers, solutions are for winners.

Today.....well, I had volunteered to run down to Cape Girardeau and watch/take care of, my granddaughter Meghan. She has been a house guest at Becky's where she can play and enjoy being with her cousin, Rachel for the last few days. Dr. Jeni and Darrel flew to Hartford, CT for a long weekend with Jeremy/Anne-Mare...on Thursday....and have been to the beach in Rhode Island...and yesterday and today, they spent with Jay and Anne-Marie in seeing NYC. They fly back to STL tomorrow..... Sooo, Becky and Rachel had a commitment today to be gone for a few hours, so I went down to Cape to be with Meghan.....and, to do that, I had to borrow a vehicle to get there as the truck is STILL in the body shop....and the 1st Lady is still up in Monroe City. Soooo, I borrowed one of the Goldsmith's cars.....walked the 1.5 miles over to their home to get the car as they were in STL for the weekend, and then after returning to the stick/brick for a cup of coffee to go with me, I was in Cape by 8:45 this morning. It was a GREAT walk as I left here before 7am....and it was a gorgeous morning!

Soooo, after Becky and Rachel left......Meghan and I went to Lowe's to do some "window shopping" as I am still on the hunt for a nice, but not overly expensive, patio table and chairs. Not finding anything there, except Meghan having a discussion about all Lowe's stores all look alike...haha....we left there and went to Barnes & Noble Bookstore. She wasn't sure that she had been to one before, but I later learned that she has been at one. Anyway....she looked and looked at all of the books, we discussed many different locations of books and how they were stacked by topics....and then I took her to the children's section. Here.....as a very intelligent 9 year old, she sat down and looked through several books, we discussed some of the kinds that were there, and then I walked into the Biography section just beside the children's section. Soon, she came out to where I was...and then by that time I had found a book entitled: "Spanish for Dummies".

Well......she has always had a love for learning Spanish and so she immediately wanted me to purchase it. She took it to a chair and began to try to read the phonetics of the Spanish phrases.......she is anxiously awaiting the time when she can study Spanish in school!! Ahhhhh......when wi;; educators do something about teaching other languages in the very early elementary schools when the kids can learn a different soooo quickly??????? By the time they get to High School.......it is toooo late!!!!!!

From there we went to the Red Lobster for lunch. WOW.....does she ever love that restaurant!!!!!!!!! She could hardly wait to order crab legs......yep, she loves them!!!! So, I ordered a pound of the snow crab legs for her, along with salad and baked potato. And......as soon as they arrived she was grabbing the crackers....the tool with which to open the legs up to get the succulent meat. And.....she devoured the entire pound, most of her salad, and a couple of those delicious cheese biscuits. I had the fried shrimp which was better than in STL a week or so ago.

It was a wonderful four and a half hours of just her and me......a time to get to know each other better, to discuss books and reading and Spanish with her, as well as eating all kinds of good food items. It was a portion of the day which I will not forget......we bonded more....and we learned much from each other........just a great time!!!

I returned to F'town, returned the vehicle, walked back to the house, and then went to work on the concrete patio for about an hour. This evening.......I have spent reading the daily newspapers, watching a few shows on the tv. I did catch "60 Minutes" and watched a marvelous and captivating tribute to Walter Cronkite........just a beautiful piece of work. If you didn't see it....try to find a copy of it......sooo well put together!

And soooo, the 1st Lady returns tomorrow afternoon......after a few stops in the STL area for some shopping. I hope to hear some "finished" news about my truck, the Buick needs the tires rotated and balanced, the truck needs some new brakes, the house needs a new roof, we need a new BBQ grill and patio furniture...and....and....and....and, we would like to get away from here by the week of the 10th of August for a few weeks. We may now drive right out to Coloado to spend a week at a condo with the 1st Lady's brother and his wife....and then go on with the RV to Wyoming to do some visiting and fishing in the mt. streams.

Today was a wonderful day.......one that will remain with me for quite some time, if not for the rest of my Life.......and this week is a busy one for us. But, you know.......we need to stay busy so we remain young....heehee!!!!

And, as always.......................

LIFE IS JUST REALLY INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!.....And, I hope it is for all of you, also!!!!!!

No comments: