Saturday, July 11, 2009

BUSY DAY!!!!

The thunderstorms woke up my sagging hulk......around 6AM....and eventually I pulled myself into an upright, vertical position, took care of the morning rituals, changed the bed sheets and made the bed(as always), checked the weather as the French Roast was dripping, and soon had a great cup of coffee in my hand. A quick check of the newspapers and other early reads online that I do each morning.....and then I began to get things together for my road trip up to Rolla, MO for the noon meeting of the planning committee, as well as the continuing road trip on to Washington, MO, and then on to STL and finally to the stick/brick.

I made a quick stop in the Park Hills area at Griffon's Trailer Sales where I needed to pick up my estimate on the RV....damages caused by the inland hurricane May 8th. Doing that, I then drove on to Rolla and to Panera Bread. I arrived early enough to get a corner area with seating for as many as I thought would be there for our meeting.

And soon.......the arrival of a former tuba player in Eldon HS who graduated in 1986, Byron Pittman, caused a lot of hugging and excitement as we had not been together since he graduated that year. His wife was with him...and, of course, I had not met her before. Then Mike and Melissa Goldsmith arrived who graduated from Eldon High School, but who worked we me as associate band director and flag corps director at Fredericktown, followed by two former students from Linn HS in Linn, MO.....and I had not seen them for 35 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT JOY!!!!!!! Next came my neice and her husband from St. Roberts, but who graduated in 1984 from Eldon HS...and then Cassondra Smith Smothers from Springfield, who graduated in 1993 from Fredericktown HS. WHAT a wonderful gathering of former students who have been working on the planning of the HUGE reunion of my former students which will be held next year.

We spent the next 2.5 hours working on plans, discussing dates, locations, plans, funding, creating a website, etc., etc., etc......as well as digressing into the past down some memory lanes every little bit. Byron Pittman is our chairman.....and I seem to be along for the ride, with the exception of a few thoughts which I had. WOW......sooooooo great to see all of these YOUNG people so involved in making this a success for all of us!!!!!!!!!! Byron has done a terrific job of thinking through a lot possible problems and finding solutions to many of them already!!!! THANKS BYRON!!!

We left around 2:30....and plan to meet again in October. I hit the road...I-44....and drove up to Washington and out to Dr. Jeni's home......and then picked up the 1st Lady. We then drove into STL, stopped for a quick little shopping expedition where we purchased some new panel drapes for the living room....and then went south to F'town, arriving about 8:30pm.

It has been a VERY busy day with varied activities to keep it interesting!!!!!! Sooooo incredible to see those students of mine......from as far back as 1974!!!! WOW......WOW....WOW!!!!!!! Gives me goose bumps again sitting here typing this!

And soooo, with a bit of rain dropping now and again...we need every drop......as always.....

LIFE IS JUST INCREDIBLY GREAT!!!!!!!! WHAT A DAY!!!!......And, I hope it is for all of you, also!!!!!

No comments: