Saturday, September 13, 2008

TWO DAYS THAT HAVEN'T STOPPED!!!

WOW......where in the hell does the time go???? Yesterday simply flew by at supersonic speeds and before I realized it I was living in today....and now it is almost tomorrow!!!! I sure do not want to "blink".........because my Life will be gone.....gone!

Yesterday we had our great friends, who just happen to be former students of the 1st Lady and myself.....we had them over for coffee/tea and some freshly baked coffee cake(by the 1st Lady). And.....the morning swiftly moved into the afternoon as we sat and talked and discussed and became angry and sad and we reflected on events of the recent weeks....and the "great sadness" that was forced upon Michael and Melissa Goldsmith and their three children by the staff/administration of the Meadow Heights Church. By now there is not anyone in this community and, for that matter, in many, many areas of the state of Missouri that is not aware of the way this family was removed from their church so suddenly......and not just removed from a paid position, but completely shunned AND banned from returning to the church to worship as a family. Never in my Life have I ever heard of children being told that they cannot enter a church's door to worship the God that is the center of their Lives............NOT being allowed to come to church!!!!!! Is that what being a Christian is all about???????? I think not....certainly it is not the way I was taught in my upbringing in the Methodist Church! WWJD?????? Certainly not what was done to the Goldsmith family!!!!!!!!!!

I am soooo proud of these two young adults............they have continued to hold their heads high in this community, as they rightfully should do, since they did nothing more than not put on a false face, but were true to themselves, being honest about their feelings concerning certain individuals and did not bow to pressure, but continued to be just themselves. How well I remember 20+ years ago as they sat in my classes and I discussed how I did not believe in wearing a false face in front of my students, being only myself at all times, "love me or leave me"....but I would remain the same. Michael and Melissa learned that lesson well........and it has stayed with them for all of these many years. Soooo, yes......I am somewhat responsible for this "great sadness" ........Michael being fired from his position with the church.....oh, excuse me....the politically correct phrase is "mutual resignation". I will write more about this travesty in the next few days........

Later yesterday.....we went to the Hanner House for snacks and several drinks.......and a lesson for the 1st Lady and Myself..........the beginning of several lessons in learning how to play Bridge. Yep......will my aging mind and my short term memory loss allow me to learn this new and complicated card game???? Well....it is new to me, anyway. And.......I did enjoy the challenge last night....enough so that I spent some time online doing some reading about the game and the rules of play.

Today....Saturday......we went down to have dinner with Mike. Had a really great visit as well as some great steaks and trimmings which we brought with us. A super afternoon/early evening!!!!

And so.....it is after midnight, making this now Sunday........the second day that has has evaporated into thin and wet, humid air!!!! My body is screaming, my mind is on overtime as I write this....and my eyes have slipped down onto my jaw bones as I attempt to see this online page so I can finish this posting. I am still seething about what I discussed above........so I will not sleep very well tonight.......but my feelings are secondary to what my good friends have endured for the past EIGHT WEEKS!!!! I am thankful.....soooooo damn thankful...that they have a very strong faith in their God which has allowed them to not slip into the depths of depression and remorse, but that this faith has shown them the way which will close this chapter of their Lives and will open up the next chapter for them...........Michael and Melissa are the ones who have taken the "high road" through this "great sadness" and they are the ones who will be the stronger for enduring this tragic episode in their former church. You should consider each day a total loss unless you have learned something new each day........and believe me, they have not lost one day of the past 8 weeks........they have learned so much about people and who not to put their faith with. Bless you my good friends........the 1st Lady and I and our family hold you in high regards and love your family so very much!

2 comments:

Grandma Shirley said...

Thank you John, my grandkids have been so hurt by all this but they are survivers.
Shirley

cybil said...

I am perhaps one of the only people in this town apparently to NOT know what this post really means. I am incredibly curious as to why a church would force a "mutual resignation" of one of its employees/members. What could have been so awful they would have taken this action? I don't personally know them...but I will pray for strength. Persecution is never the answer.