Thursday, June 21, 2007

WHAT a day......

OH my God……what a day!!!! For some reason we were both awake at 6AM this morning…..I suppose just rather dreading the task of making pricing decisions today…..???? Anyway…..after a quick shave, I went to the local McD’s to grab a couple of cups of coffee…..one to bring back with me. The 1st Lady was up and had had her tea by the time I returned.

As usual, I ran into people I have know for years and years while standing in line waiting for my coffee order to be taken!!! This morning, one was a parent of one of my high school trumpeters…..who went from H.S. here in Eldon to the USAF Academy in Colorado Spring. That was 25 years ago…..and he now will in the next few weeks put on his full bird Colonel ranking…….doesn’t surprise me as he was a great student and quite a leader when in h.s.

Returning to the house, we began the pricing when my sister arrived. I had already been to the home of the 1st Lady’s cousin yesterday and he had agreed to give us some idea as to what to ask for the antiques……he works part time in an antique shop between here and Jefferson City. By afternoon, we had things arranged and most of the regular items priced….and then her cousin arrived mid-afternoon and he began looking, talking about the items, and giving us an “idea” of what we should ask.

After about an hour, he asked if he could call this friend of his who is a dealer in antiques…and a bit later she arrived. We allowed her to purchase today……some thoughts about that pro and con, but we went ahead and agreed to let her purchase this afternoon. WELL…….she purchased many, many items…..enough to fill the entire back of her mini-van with the seats all down!!!! Granted a few items were large pieces of furniture, but she take some of the crystal glassware…..and I probably didn’t ask enough as she didn’t really flinch at the prices. BUT……such is Life!!! If I had asked toooo much she might not have taken anything……..nor anyone else for that matter. They are sold and gone….and that was the objective, wasn’t it?

I also had a fellow who purchases houses to fix over and/or rent…..but, he wasn’t interested when I quoted him the price the realtor had given me. So be it……if it doesn’t sell with that price after a few weeks, then we can always lower it…..right???

We had to scurry around as we had a dinner engagement at the Lake with my former student, Mike Williams, a former band director and now an Asst. H.S. Principal at Osage High School. It was a great evening discussing a bit of everything as we dined on Mexican cuisine with a few Margaritas to assist in washing down the spicy foods.

Returning to the house, we adjusted some prices and tried to fill in the spaces where the purchased items had been……as it really doesn’t look like much is here now! Again….that IS what we wanted…..to get rid of everything…….by the end of Saturday afternoon.

And sooooooo……the day has been hectic and yet, profitable!!!! Hopefully, we can get the rest of the furniture and other items sold and out of here soon! We are a bit on the exhausted side…….but, nevertheless…..

Life IS Great…..and I hope it is for all of you, also!!!!

No comments: