Sunday, June 24, 2007

More discoveries....!!!! WOW!!!!

After a relaxing morning here with several cups of Fr. Roast coffee, a couple of "talking head" tellie shows, and a light lunch, we were off to go visit Mike. Had a great visit....and then back here to F'town.

I have spent the remainder of the evening going through a box of pictures, post cards, and newspapers and.......OMG!!!! I found carefully preserved with my name written on it, a newspaper dated: July 26, 1808!!!!!! It is the Missouri Gazette Vol 1, No. 3 !!!!!!!! After some online searching I have found that this newspaper was the FIRST newspaper published west of the Mississippi River!!!! It is in good condition, having been wrapped in some kind of plastic, like Saran Wrap, except it doesn't stick together.

I have been searching and believe that this is the oldest copy of this newspaper......there is one other copy of the very same paper in the Missouri Historical Library, but.......it may be, along with the one in the Library, the oldest newspaper in existence that was printed west of the Mississippi, as I stated above. I have emailed the Mo Historical Society to inquire as to the earliest paper that is known to be around.....and will await an answer from them.

I also have found about 20 antique post cards......dating back to 1908.....and one is a political one with William Jennings Bryan on the front. Another one from Reims, France showing the damage to the city in a photo post card that occurred in WWI.

What will show up tomorrow???? I am beginning to feel that way with each box that I open.........it is like going to a museum.

It is late.......my body is yelling at me to get into the horizontal position....and so I will close this little post tonight. I MUST put away these items which are laying around me here in the study.....they are definitely toooooo valuable to leave out overnight.

And soooooo, another day....another discovery!

Life IS Great......and I hope it is for all of you, also!!!

No comments: