Thursday, June 07, 2007

Day 16 and 17: Two very different days....

On Wednesday, we were up before we needed to be, but we had to get things "tied down" inside, the tanks "dumped", and get TheHowserHouse out and around the gate to the Service area of Walnut Ridge RV Sales and Service by 9am. It didn't take us nearly as long as we had thought it would and so we were sitting in the service lane(s) before we actually needed to be.

When they opened, I met with one of the service managers, as well as the insurance lady, to discuss the items we needed to have fixed/installed. With the list I gave them, we were told it might be the end of the day before they would finish. I also discussed the new development in the powder post beetle saga.....and that is that there are a few holes in the molding/trim that goes around the inside of the dining room slide....where the infected table was. Their suggestion was that I call Cedar Creek offices and talk with Steve Hicks.....the "problem" fixer.

As he is oftentimes difficult to reach because he is very busy in his job, I decided to pay a visit to the sales department and see the guy who sold me TheHowserHouse. He is a great guy, young and a member of the family that owns this HUGE facility just outside New Castle, IN. Once in his office, we reviewed my original purchase, discussed many other items, and then I told him my newest problem. He had been WONDERFUL in helping me with the original problem of the beetles......and he was aghast at the latest development. He picked up the phone and called the factory to talk with Steve Hicks. Of course......he had to leave a message, but he said he would continue to try to reach him. Walnut Ridge is such a HUGE operation in Forest River Products....i.e....Cedar Creek, that they have tremendous clout with the Cedar Creek offices.

We chatted some more, and then the 1st Lady and I told him we would like to visit and tour some of the newest models of 5er's that they have in stock. HAHHA.....they have 400 rv's on their beautifully landscaped lot(s).....acres and acres of rv's!!! We spent a couple of hours going inside these beautiful rigs......and comparing them to ours.....and with only a couple of exceptions we decided we like ours just as well, if not better, than the newer ones. I can't speak highly enough about Walnut Ridge and their sales and service there..........what a great place!!!

The 1st Lady and I then went into New Castle and looked around. Lunch time found us at Applebee's ad we enjoyed one of their new menu items.....a kind of "you pick two" deal for very few dollars. WONDERFUL.....WONDERFUL!!!! Sorry....can't remember which one I had...will have to think a bit and then perhaps I can remember.....just need to see the menu and I can then tell you which to order!

Later....about mid-afternoon, we returned to Walnut Ridge and then we had to wait about an hour or so. Finally, with what work they could get done......one issue they were unable to take care of........we hooked up and after getting diesel fuel at the local Flying J out on the interstate, we headed west by southwest towards Missouri.

Going through Indianapolis at 5:30.....well, you know what time that is.....RUSH HOUR (and 30 minutes into Happy Hour)!!!! But.....we took the southern part of the bypass and did just fine arriving on the west side and back on I-70 in only 35 minutes. We kept driving....and finally about 8:30, stopped in Effingham, IL at the Flying J there. LUCK was with us and there were several RV lanes open for overnighting there on their property.........for FREE!

We first walked over to Cracker Barrel and had dinner......a wee bit late for keeping the weight off, but so be it! Well........my food was not cold, but just a couple of steps up from being cold, so....guess what!? I complained.....and the waitress told me they didn't have any more of the

food I had selected, so she nuked it to warm it up. And then.......she took my meal OFF of the bill.....!!!! So, our meal for the two of us was only $10!!!!!!!! Hmmmm....what did I say a few posts back.....it pays to let the management know when things are not what they should be, or what is expected of them!!!!

We had an uneventful night with the slides not extended in the Flying J parking area.....a bit of noise from time to time as the Big RIG Boys drove in and out, but not bad at all!!!

TODAY.......we were up and going by 8:15....and headed down the road going towards Missouri. I had turned on the gennie to make my Fr. Roast coffee and the 1st Lady's tea and so I was ready for the day. BUT....not quite ready for the horrible, unreal WINDS on the highway!!!

We fought the winds all of the way 190 miles....and they were most of time blowing at 40-50 miles per hour!!!!! Not just headwinds, but he terrible winds attacking TheHowserHouse from the flank.....and pushing us around until I thought I would lose control right on the interstate. My shoulders were aching, as well as my arms and hands, from gripping the wheel sooooo tightly!! But.....

We were backing into the stick and brick driveway at noon. We unloaded, cleaned, sorted, did laundry, etc., etc., etc until we are now exhausted!! But.......hey, it was a GREAT trip....so much fun, so much food, so many great friends seen and friendships renewed, and many new ones made during the trip!!!! Negatives: one dead deer, one smashed truck front bumper and numerous other parts damaged, and HAVING TO RETURN HOME!

But....hey, you know.........this IS retirement. OOPS.....I forgot: it is not retirement, but REBIRTH!!!!!! So true, so true. AND........also soooo true:

LIFE IS GREAT!!!!....and I hope it is for all of you, also!!!!

No comments: