Sunday, June 17, 2007

Father's Day......and another day of remembrances....

By the time I stepped out onto the patio for my morning French Roast coffee......the heat was already bearing down upon Buford Heights and the sky was so thick with haze I could tell this was going to be a day to stay inside with the a/c running! And......for the most part, that is what I did!

The morning was spent doing something......I know not what! Soooo, that must mean it was not important enough for me to register it for any long term recall????? By the afternoon, I was pulling out two boxes of the four boxes that I brought home with me from the house in Eldon. In the boxes are just a small part of the thousands of pictures that my mother had kept of several generations of family members.....and, for the most part, they are all labeled with names and many with dates!!

After dealing with the ancestor's generations, I dug into the box that turned out to be pictures of me...and me.....and me.....and me.....and, yep...you guessed it: ME!!! As I was born after 7 years of my parents trying to conceive, AND......as my Dad was in the Army at the time of my birth...and then went to Europe to fight in WWII, the pictures were made frequently of anything that I did, or that I wore, or that I ate, or that I didn't wear(nude), or what I played with, or with whomever held me, or with a third cousin just my age, or with.....and with.....or with.....and so on! I am almost embarrassed at ALL of the hundreds and hundreds of pictures of me!!! I had NO idea Mom had taken or kept soooo many.

I kept way tooooooo many of them and then I returned the rest to the boxe for my sister to "enjoy" and search through. I believe there at least 8 more boxes in Eldon that must be examined before we begin the task of disposing of the unwanted pictures. This has become a very bothering thought to me......especially after seeing how important these pictures were to my Mother and Dad. Needless to say.......with this being "Father's Day".....I became teary more than once today as I looked at these pictures of my early childhood and almost all of them taken with my parents.

How have any of you handled something like this? Have you thrown pictures away that were taken by your parents of important events in you Life????? Have you kept them all for YOUR children to dispose of when you are no longer? Hmmmm.......this is a worrisome task for me....and one I am not certain I can handle very easily.

And so.......with each of my three children calling at some point in time during today to wish me a Happy Father's Day.......I continued to look at the pictures of my parents. What a day it has been........

And so......I will close this little post with my mind and emotions still full of nostalgia and a few memories of the pictures I remembered having been taken. What a Life.......but,

Life IS Great.....and I hope it is for all of you, also!!!

No comments: