Friday, April 27, 2007

Another morning post......becoming a habit????

WOW......another night without a post by this aging hulk!!! Well......this time, there was a valid reason...........

The day yesterday was not the best weather wise.....but between the small drizzles that occurred during the late moring and early afternoon, I managed to do some of the yard work.....like mowing! I didn't get as much done as I had hoped I would.......but managed to get about half of it done.

Then by late afternoon yesterday I left for Edwardsville, IL to attend a band concert of the Edwardsville High School Concert and Symphonic Bands. Andrew Gipson, a 1999 grad of F'town H.S. and one of my outstanding band students, is now the Asst Band Director at Edwardsville and therefore, he was conducting last night.

We met at one of coffee hangouts in downtown Edwardsville.........a downtown that caters to the large amount of college students that are there......and the coffee shop is usually full of chatter, laptops, guitars, and coffee drinking college students.........just my kind of place. So, Andrew met me there for a quick cup.....before he had to go the HS to get his students ready and warmed up.

The concert.....both the Concert Band and Symphonic Band.......was very good. Soooo enjoyable to just sit back and enjoy and to not have to worry about being a part of the concert. HOWEVER............

At the end of the Concert Band segment, Andrew came to the mic and began thanking the parents for their support....and then he got a bit carried away and started talking about one person in the audience and the affect that this person had on his life, etc., etc, etc. and he did get a bit choked up during this. Well.......that person was me....which then he had me stand when the audience applauded enthusiastically. Hmmmmmm.......that is not what I went to the concert for, but.....Andrew....it is very much appreciated. THAT is what teaching is all about.........helping young people get a start in Life!!!! And.......uniquely in this profession........many of those students that you have in Band.....well, they DO become best friends with you....and Andrew certainly is in that "best friend" category with me!!!!!!!!!! He is a student any teacher would be very proud to claim as a "student of mine"......and I AM!!!!!

Afterwards, Andrew and his wife Laura, and the head band director Marvin Battle and I all went out for a drink and some late night food. We had a great time but the evening was late and it just got later.....and they all had to teach this morning!!! Laura is also a band director in a neighboring school..........UGH....two directors in one marriage........what a hell of a schedule their home must have!!!!!

I left about 11:30pm to return to F'town....and arrived home about 1:15AM.......NOT the hour that I normally experience on the highway!!! HAHA......but it was ALL worth it. A great evening it was........!!!! And......with an evening like this where you "bust your buttons" with pride for a former student.......how else can it be anything but......

LIFE IS GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!......and I hope it is for all of you, also!!!!!

No comments: