Sunday, May 07, 2006

NOT a lazy Sunday!!!

Two of the three granddaughters were "up and attam" by 7:30 this morning......while the rest of us were still in a horizontal mode. But with them running around full steam ahead......I fought the pull of gravity and raised myself up and into a vertical stance and headed into the kitchen to get some things going for the 6 and 8 year old girls.

Soon, everyone else was up, albeit going rather slowly. The day was cloudy and rather dismal looking until late morning.....and then it turned into a beautiful spring-like morning/day. I thought it looked and felt like a Wyoming morning.....cool, crisp, and beautiful!! After more visitors, a friend and three children of Dr. Jeni's, the house began to rock and roll with kids everywhere. After their departure, discussion ensued as to who was going to go watch the big parade.......and this old band director turned out to be the only one from TheHowserHouse who wanted to watch it.

Soooo, off I went to find a good corner location....which I found. As I mentioned yesterday, this Festival brings out many people from around here that you never see during the rest of the year.......and that was very evident in the area where I found myself sitting to view the parade. I knew NO ONE.......and just couldn't bring myself to make introductions to anyone........I just remained anonymous AND enjoyed it!!

The Parade???? Well........it was LOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!! It took right at one hour for it to pass by me......longer than any other time that I can remember since I moved here in 1988. I believe every fire engine within 35 miles was in the parade with their horns and sirens blasting away. Many antique cars drove in the parade as well as many religious and business "floats". And the H.S. Band........while they were not playing when they passed by me, most of the kids were in step. Being of the "old band directors school", I am always a bit upset when a band marches in a parade where soooooo many people will see them and when the band does NOT wear their expensive uniforms!!!! The small towns and communities, like F'town, have laid out tens of thousands of hard earned dollars to outfit the band members in great looking uniforms....and I feel very strongly that the members of the communities should have the opportunity to see the band marching down the street in the uniforms which can give not only the students, but the community, a feeling of PRIDE!!!!!! I KNOW, personally, how difficult it was to raise the money to buy these uniforms and how MUCH the community gave to assist the band buy the uniforms...........and for the majority of the citizens of F'town, THIS is the ONLY time they get to see the band perform in those uniforms!!!!! Am I on my soapbox??????? YEP......I sure the hell am!!!!!!!!!

It is not a matter of not having enough uniforms!! The band is only half the size it was 5 or 6 years, so there are plenty of extra uniforms to fit these students. Do I sound like a cranky old balding geezer?????? Probably so........but I just don't give a damn!!! Had it been a HOT day.......ok....that would have been a different story, because those uniforms can be extremely hot.....BUT, it was anything but hot today. OK.....I will step down now and quit my preaching............hope I got the main points of my "sermon" through to all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Following the parade with the t-shirt and jeans clad band, I jumped in the car and took Rachel to visit Mike and then on to Festus where her other grandfather met me at the "transfer point"......McD's. Returned to TheHowserHouse about 9:30pm.......and now.....the new week begins!!! Sooooo.......

Life is Great......and I hope it is for all of you, also!!!

No comments: