Friday, February 03, 2006

WHEW.....City choices are no better than the boonies....

After running up to STL this morning.....and spending the entire day there going from one kitchen/bath business to another......I realized that the choices for cabinets/vanities are not much different in the city than they are down here in the boonies!!! The MAIN difference is that when there is something a bit different.....the cost is HUGELY different. Anything unique/different/contemporary/modern....well, the cost is prohibitive!!! WHY are the more modern things sooooooooooooo much more costly?????????? I guess because not many people use them....so the demand is not that great.....so perhaps there aren't that many constructed???? The less there are....the more the cost??!! AND......my problem is that I reeeaaaalllllyyyyy love the modern/comtemporary style(s). Guess at my age I am ready for a big change in style of living....tired of traditional, over-stuffed, overly decorated, overly formal, etc., etc. furnishings!!!!!!!!

I love the sleek lines, the clean lines, the glass and metal and dark espresso wood stains. I love the minimalist style.......less is more!! But...I do not love the high costs!!! Soooooo, where do I compromise with all of this??? The 1st Lady also really likes the new styles, but she IS the bookkeeper for TheHowserHouse and so she has control over the purchasing habits of this aging man. My question is difficult to answer......"compromise"???? I haven't figured it out yet......YET!!

I have a cabinet maker coming to the house in the morning to measure the kitchen and I plan to show him the style, wood colors, etc., etc. that I would LIKE to have. Not certain how "modern" he actually is.......but I do know that many people in this area have had him construct their cabinetry. Soooo,...guess I'll know by noon tomorrow.

Today's progress with the remodeling: More electrical wiring was completed, one wall was completely removed and they managed to not have to put up a header, which would have required a soffitt(sp??) running throught the new bathroom. I had left my cell phone number with the contractor and he never called me today while I was in the city sooooo, "no news is good news"!!!!

While in STL I did spend some time at a couple of electronic stores talking in depth with the most "knowledgeable" sales people I could locate ......concering plasma tv's........and then comparing, visually, the difference between the 42" and the 50" models. Pretty certain I want a Panasonic.......no matter which stores I visited, that brand seems to be the most highly recommended.....and a lot of trade mags seem to agree. I also spent some time discussing....AND learning.....about surround sound sytems. And I DID learn that they, too, are rather costly. Guess I will have to decide soon......I may just go ahead and wire the walls with what is needed....then later install the speakers,etc., etc.

Oh my........indigestion sets in thinking about all of the $$$$$$$$$ signs this project is costing!!!!!!!!!!! Keep wondering: should I save this for ill health and infirmity in a few years......or should I spend it and enjoy Life while I can????? Spend it and take a chance about the later years.......or save it for the eventual medical costs of dying???????? DAMN....that's rather morbid, isn't it????? You know.....I have always....ALWAYS.....lived for the day......"enjoy each day to the fullest because you/we never know what will happen tomorrow". And...for the most part, I have done JUST THAT!!

Oh don't get me wrong.......I have ALWAYS been a planner.......planning out my days, my weeks, and even into the next year........keeping my sights set for the future, BUT taking each day as comes along and living it to the fullest. Yep.......all of the above is me: this aging, sagging hulk of a former band director.....hahaha!!! (and a wee bit deaf from standing in front of a high school band for 30 years!!!).

Sooooo, will all of this rambling and philosophical sputtering, I will close.....and, as always,

LIFE IS GREAT!!!......and I certainly hope it is for all of you, also!!

No comments: