Tuesday, February 07, 2006

TWO in a row...what happened to my retirement????

Oh yeah......it has been two extremely busy and frustrating days while running around attempting to FIND the items we MUST find for the house project....mainly the bathroom items. The 1st Lady had been "thinking" all night long and by a bit before 6AM she turned on the overhead lights and told me she had been "thinking" and I needed to get up. Soooo, slowly I pulled my sagging hulk of a former good-looking guy(SURE I was) out of the bed and joined her in the only other room where we can move around without stumbling and falling over furniture and other decor items that are piled everywhere. And...which room was that??? Well...it was the "necessary room". Sooooo, I listend to her thoughts, her rationale for those thoughts.....all about the size of the new vanity-to-be......and then finally crawled into the shower and did my best to pull the wondering brain cells together to construct a thought or two of my own. That one or two thoughts were not tooooo positive at that point in time! HAHAH

After the morning ritual of cleansing my body(??? is it that or a walking pile of loose skin?) I got the Fr. Roast coffee brewed and began to feel somewhat like an old human being again. Sooo, we climbed through the lumber, shuffled through the sawdust and insulation shreds and made our way to the bathroom-to-be where we measured out the two sizes of the vanity-to-be and our discussion continued by flashlight as we gazed into the jack hammered trough at 6:20AM!!!! I told her it was HER decision since she was the one who owned all of the bottles, curling irons, blow dryers, thousands of different kinds of lipsticks, and tons of facial lotions which are guaranteed to keep her young looking. She decided under the wavering light of the little flashlight that it would be the 48 inch size......and then I shuffled once again through the sawdust and insulation shreds, climbed over the stack of lumber, crept through the plastic hanging over the opening in the wall and returned to civilization AND my second cup of Fr. Roast!! It was only 6:35AM!!!!!!!!! DAMN!!!!!

By 7:30 the crew had arrived and I reported to my highly regarded and respected contractor the answers to the questions he had written on the OLD drywall. I just KNEW I was back in school again as a student and standing at the chalkboard....indigestion setting in because I didn't KNOW all the answers.....and tried to explain I just had to have more time to get the necessary items and make the needed decisions. He did not send me out but seemed kindly and patient as I explained I had to drive to Cape Girardeau today to find the bathroom faucets, shower handles, shower nozzle, and check on a cheaper price for the custom made glass shower doors. He accepted my childish excuses without a note from my mother!!! WHEW!!!!!

Sooo, I hopped into the big blue F350 and headed southeast for the Cape.....over an ungodly road, one of the worst in Missouri. Of course, being only two lanes....I soon had slow down for the last 23 miles as I got behind a Mo Dept of Transportation truck spraying....yes, SPRAYING......liquid salt on the highway just in case that there might be a few snow flurries as predicted. Sooooo, my blue truck soon turned to a terrible salty white....and I could just hear the rust growing on my little spots of knicked paint. I then went into high gear as I began hitting all of the building supply facilities, specialty lighting shops, tv/audio shops.....until it was after 2pm. I had told .....well, ASSURED is a better word....the 1st Lady that I would be back by 3pm so we could go up to Farmington to look at some other bathroom fixtures. I did purchase a light for the ceiling of the bedroom, but not certain I will keep it. Just thought I would have it in case nothing else is found.

As soon as I returned to TheHowserHouse on the hill and she arrived home from school, we left for Farmington. I did check on the progress.....and.....they managed to get the new shower unit into the house!!!!!!!!!! WOW......and the window they removed had been replaced temporarily. In Farmington we spent a few hasty hours looking at granite vanity tops, sinks, talking with sales people, and then by 7pm, grabbed a sandwich (is there really any other kind of food??? Been sooooo long.....) and headed home.

Soooo, did some research online to attempt to find the faucets, etc someplace that is cheaper, but not sure it can be done. Beside some of these items MUST be picked up in the morning and immediately returned for installation.

Soooo, it is now time to bring this day to a close.......and pray that the 1st Lady doesn't "think" all night again!!! Soooo,......as always.....

Life is Great (even at 6:25AM in the piles of sawdust).....and I hope it is for all of you, also!!

No comments: