Saturday, May 31, 2008

"My Kind of Town!".....Chicago is!!!!

GORGEOUS Weather today here in Chi-town.......and we have been soooo lucky to have this chance to experience it...WOW!!! I know I have I written posts about other great cities which I enjoy soooooo very much, but Chicago is just.......well, it is really special to me. I have been visiting Chicago since way back....since the late 1970's.....and each time I come up here, I fall in love all over again....with Chicago. I wrote about this city last night......and I have written about it before,....and you know....I will more than likely write again about "My Kind of Town".

Today, I ran Dr. Jeni into the city center downtown to the Sheraton Hotel to attend her conference there. Returning to our hotel, the Wyndham Suites Hotel in Glenview.........and it is about 24 miles by the route I have been driving.........the 1st Lady and two girls were dressed and ready to go back downtown!! So, a quick cup of coffee....and we were "on the road again".....and about an hour later, we were parking in the Field Museum Parking Garage.

The trip down Lakeshore Drive was gorgeous......absolutely stunning with the colors of Lake Michigan just sparkling in the brilliant sunlight, the young adults(and a few "seniors") were out jogging, running, biking, inline skating, playing volleyball, soccer, etc., etc along the beach front....ready to have their "day in the sun". The little ones in the Suburban with me were just soooo excited by the water, the beach, and all the people enjoying this great area of Chicago.

We were in the museum by 11:00am.....the ticket prices were really quiet good.....and I enjoyed paying the Senior Citizen price!!!! And, for the next four plus hours, we toured many of the great exhibits in this huge building. The two little ones??? Well, of course with the age difference between the two, Ava enjoyed the stuffed animals greatly........and Meghan....she really enjoyed the Dinosaur exhibit and the entire "Evolving Planet" exhibit. She really took in the evolution process, asking some great questions for an 8 year old.....and she showed great depth of understanding in many of her inquiries!!!

We had a wonderful little lunch there in the "corner bakery".......the soup, the sandwiches, all of them were quite good and it was a joy to be able to have this kind of food in a museum!!!! Of course....we understand that they do have a McDonald's there, but why go there when the "corner bakery" has special sandwiches for children!! I had a great Chicken Pomodori as well as some little pastry tidbits with my really super dark coffee........and all four of us ate for just a few pennies over $26.00....a real bargain for this quality of food!!! Try it out.....!!

Afterwards.........we went to the Egypt exhibits.....and OMG, but did the girls ever love the mummies, the coffins, the complete exhibit!!! And, of course........"Grammie" and I were able to bring some personal things into our explanations of some of these exhibits when we talked to them about Egypt, etc., etc.

Dr. Jeni called......and since the little ones were about worn down, we went up to pick her up at the Sheraton.....and then we decided to go the beach on Lake Michigan. We located a place to park in the lot between the Lincoln Park Zoo and the Shoreline Drive....and from there it was just a short walk to the water front. The parking fee was $14.00 for the day, or in our case, for about two hours.....but, it was close and convenient.

After two hours of playing around in the sand and the COLD water.....just wading in it......we realized that the suns was going down, the breezes were getting cooler, and it was time to get some food. It was really great to see soooooooooooooo many people enjoying the bike/jogging/running path that parallels the beach and Shoreline Drive........literally....THOUSANDS were out and active on this LONG paved pathway.

I kept thinking of St Louis and all of the economic assistance that they could receive from thousands and thousands of tourists IF....and, I repeat...IF....they would just get their damn act together and redo and improve the waterfront along the Mississippi. What a grand sight it would be, how great for the tourism, and the state.......if they would just finally get this project started and completed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Walking and driving along Shoreline Drive immediately brought back visual memories of the French Riviera at Nice, France......and at Alexandria, Egypt,........hotels lining the highways and beachfronts with thousands and thousands enjoying these man-made projects right along-side the wonderful blue waters. WOW!!!!!

We returned to the hotel....stopping along the way to pick up some sandwiches and salads from Panera Bread......one of my favorite "chain" cafes. ALWAYS great food and coffee can be found there, not to mention the outstanding breads and pastries that are there for consumption on the premises or at home.

I had been expecting a guest this evening at the hotel........Charles (Zach) Moss. Yep....another former student who had contacted me earlier this week, informing me that he lives in Chicago ....and expressing a desire to get together again! And......I was excited to see him after many years.....and don't ask how many, because I am just not certain. We talked today and he was going to come up to the hotel this evening upon our return, so after walking into the suite, I called him.....and he said he would be here in 45 minutes or so. However, the phone rang again and he had a bit of difficulty with his transportation, so we chatted for awhile over the phone. There is a good possibility that we can meet at the Navy Pier tomorrow morning.....!! We had, and still have, LOTS of catching up to do.........we had been close during his years in band, but due to some circumstances we drifted apart, which I was never happy about........and the thought of renewing our friendship has been in my mind all week. Tomorrow.....????? I hope so.

The girls have not settled in this evening........just had toooooo great of a time for them, I suppose. And so..........with our departure for Missouri sometime tomorrow, I am already beginning to feel that strange feeling like.....I have been cheated and am running out of time......as I know I could remain here in Chicago for longer than I can afford to do and still not be ready to leave(sort of like going to Barnes & Noble and having to leave after a couple of hours....never ready to leave)...........Interestingly enough.....the 1st Lady and I made mention a couple of times this weekend about.....would we like to live here in Chicago? The negatives? The bone chilling cold of the winters.....however....guess we could leave and go south from here just as we do from southeast Missouri/Misery, couldn't we?????????? I have always, always said that when I become toooooo damn old with my sagging and evolving hulk to drive back and forth to a city....STL.....than I would move to the city where all of the culture and the youthful energy is located.......so, why not Chicago????????

And so......another super day......a day that has left an emotional high in my aging body!!!!! And......what else can I say, but....

LIFE IS INCREDIBLY GREAT!!!!!!!.......And, I hope it is for all of you, also!!!!! (Great to talk with you, "Zach"!)

1 comment:

Keith said...

I think Chicago is great also. We have been there a few times, including a very nice trip by train with the CATS class and our grandson. The Field museum is really good. Thanks for the pictures and stirring up some good memories.