Friday, May 30, 2008

Friday Morning.....WET CHICAGO!!.....and....Part 2 of the day...

This will be a short post this morning.......we arrived quite LATE.....about 1:00AM this morning....as we didn't get away from STL until 7:30pm. I had forgotten just how many times it is necessary to make "pit" stops when traveling with two young granddaughters....ages 8 and 3. Normally I have run up here to the Windy City in a few short hours, but....hmmm, not this time. Oh well......

The Glenview Wyndham Suites Hotel is wonderful......sooooo nice to have the two rooms, two LCD tellies, small efficiency kitchen, and a beautiful Atrium throughout the center of the hotel.

Finally, I got to bed around 2AM.....and then up again at 5:45AM to prepare to take Dr. Jeni downtown to the Sheraton where her conference is being held. WOW.......when we left the hotel for the city center, it was pouring cats and dogs........terrible. The interstates were totally clogged and we were sitting on one just like in a parking lot, so, I got off of it, and started across to the Lakeshore Drive Freeway.......and after 1.5 hours of constant driving, and with the GREAT help of my Garmin GPS, we arrived at the Sheraton where I dropped her off.....and then spent 1.5 hours on the return trip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Three hours of driving this morning just to get downtown and back during RUSH HOUR!!! WHEW!!!

And so, I'll close this early(?) post and will add more later..........


PART 2:

The morning went rather quickly......drank some more coffee....and then took care of my morning rituals, even though it was closer to noon today. The 1st Lady and I took the girls to McDonald's for lunch.........a place of fine cuisine in Chicago......haha. We returned to the hotel.......and then it was time for Ava to take her daily nap. Once she was down on the bed, the 1st Lady and Meghan went downstairs to the pool and spa for a couple of hours.....and think they had a fantastic time together!!! I stayed in the suite, overseeing Ava as I read the online newspapers....and dropped off to sleep a couple of times, but for only a minute or two.

About 3:30, I began the trip back downtown....not sure of the mileage....probably 30 miles or close to it. She was a bit late getting out of a seminar......but, I had a great place to park across the street from the Sheraton where she has spent the day. When she came out.....we returned back to the Wyndham in Glenview and it took about 1.5 hours in the evening rush hour jams.

We then went around the corner to T.G.I. Friday's for dinner. Hmmmmm.......just not a very good meal.....with not very good wine choices either. Getting really disgusted with national chains.......it must all be pre-cooked and packaged for quick and easy serving, no matter which state they are in!

Returning to the hotel.......the girls took their baths....and are now playing games before bedtime. I need to make a few phone calls to those that I had wanted to get together with, but my damn brain is nothing but wet mush tonight!!!! Those three hours of sleep(??) just were NOT enough for this old man.........need to get my body in a horizontal position on the bed very, very quickly.

It has been raining, as I stated earlier, and misty, and then the sun came out this evening......and who knows the weather for tomorrow. No matter how exhausted I am tonight.....I am soooooo in love with Chicago.......I could remain here for the rest of my Life. Love the city center, the marvelous restaurants(minus TGI Friday's), the wonderful stores and shops, the many, many neighborhoods where there is soooo much to do and enjoy.......the whole ambience of Chicago is just super. There is simply something special about this Windy City!!

And so......a very, very, very short night last night.......which made today seem very, very long. And....now, I keep stumbling over my sagging hulk this evening.........and so, it is time to close this while I can still read it........

LIFE IS REALLY, REALLY GREAT!!!!!.......And, I hope it is for all of you, also!!!!

No comments: