Monday, July 16, 2007

Working with the past (by sorting "Stuff")......

A day to spend inside...........no breeze at all this morning and into the early afternoon. Same old Misery temps and humidity....nothing new, so I won't bore you with the local weather! We started off the morning with some exercise: the 1st Lady took her usual 30 minute quick walk around this end of the city, and I spent that time plus pumping some iron here in the stick and brick.

The 1st Lady and I seem to have piles of "stuff" in the guest bedroom, the den/office, the living room and spilling into the media/family room. UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I despise piles of crap/stuff/shit laying around!!!!! I seemed to have to put up with this in my band office.....there just wasn't room for all of the music, texts, books, etc., etc.......and now, here I am in retirement putting up with the same crap: piles of stuff!!!!!

So, today we lit into some of these piles attempting to make a small dent in the sorting, throwing, and storing tasks with all of this. BUT.......when we ran into a box of OLD pictures from a former chapter in our lives.....a chapter that was 13 years long......guess what??!! We bogged down, buried ourselves in the folders, envelopes, little boxes, etc. of this box and spent wwwaaayyyy toooooo much time enjoying the memories of it's contents!!!! And, it was fun...and it was nostalgic.....and it was highly emotional(we discovered long ago items of our first daughter who passed away at the age of 8 from unknown causes).

This afternoon we tackled the guest bedroom! The king bed had been moved into this room last spring after we received our new furniture for our newly remodeled master bedroom.....and at that particular time, we could NOT find the king bed rails/frame!!!!!!! No where!!!! And...guess again!! We found them when we got the "stuff" out of the garage to have the yard sale a couple of weeks ago.....hahaha. I keep wondering just WHAT we will find next in their...hahahaa!! So, we had to move almost everything to get it set up properly, the bed made, and then making some adjustments for the bedskirt that was for the old queen size that was in there.....hmmmm. This took some thinking and trimming and pinning.....and VOILA!!!! It looks great.

By late afternoon, it was 5pm somewhere......and so, I opened a new bottle of dark red medicine and had a couple of doses of it......! And.....I feel better....much better. Another dose during our light supper spinach salad and hot garlic bread....and I was good to go for the rest of the evening.

Another half hour was spent watering my flowers, azaleas, shrubs, and other bushes. The drought continues and I do NOT want to lose any of the above!!!!

I have thrown a few pictures on here of a couple of my very, very good friends who were my students in Eldon......but anyone from F'town who knows them now may not recognize them, as the pics were taken in 1986 and '87. These are some of the nostalgic items that I discovered in that box this afternoon. Seeing them at this stage of their lives in these pics only re-enforces my very warm feelings for them as they continue to care for, and to love each other deeply and honestly!!! Who would have thought.........after the normal turbulent teenage years!!!! However, some things....and couples......are just meant to be.....and how wonderful that can be! Love you two!!!!!!!

LIFE IS GREAT!!!!!!.....and I hope it is for all of you, also!!!!

2 comments:

Mel said...

OH MY GOSH!!! I'm not sure those pictures should have ever surfaced again!!! Thanks for the kind words. You and "the first lady" mean more to me than you will ever know. I love you both!! (Wasn't Jeremy too cute and all that hair!)

Michael Goldsmith said...

WOW!! Did those pics bring back some memories!! It seems like yesterday we were back in Eldon - good friends then, and even better friends (and soul mates!) now.

Thanks for helping me to remember how far down the path we have traveled. Melissa and I would neither one be here if it weren't for the love, kindness and compassion you showed us. You always had some words of wisdom, but more importantly you were always there to listen. I'll never forget that!!

As you continue to clean out the "cobwebs" from the past, I hope you will be reminded of just how many lives you have impacted and what a difference you have made in this world.

Here's to the journey that lies ahead - it still waits for the "world traveler!"