Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Continuing sadness and depression....

How difficult it was to awaken this morning and to have to realize that it has not been a nightmare......but is actually reality. I pulled myself out of bed and after a shower I made the coffee.....and found myself sitting on the sofa and staring off into space.........about 45 minutes after I sat down. The weather outside was a reflection of my feelings.......gray, wet, and somber.

I finally got on my feet and began to stir as the tile installer/layer was here and working on the countertop. Yesterday prior to him leaving, he came to the conclusion that we were 1-2 tiles short.......each tile is 24" x 24". So, at 7:15 this morning, I called The Tile Shop in STL to inquire if they had a couple of tiles in stock. I was told that they would have to check their stock when the warehouse opens.....around 8:30. The computer said they had 3 boxes in inventory, but we all know how the computer and the actual inventory never quite agrees. Sooooo, I poured some more coffee, sat down, and waited.....for a phone call.

By 10:30 I was on the road headed to STL to pick up the two tiles. Somehow I arrived in south STL.....before I knew I had driven up there. My mind was on David......his first attempts on his trumpet in 6th grade Beginning Band, his days in class in the Middle School Bands, his constant smile and wonderful postive attitude, his constant practicing to improve his natural talent on his trumpet, his competitiveness with his classmates in the trumpet section for the "1st Chair", the continuing efforts he gave to rise to the top seats in the large trumpet section in the H.S.Band....his solos and ensemble performances in the spring contests, how proud he always was of the Band's performances on the field and when we continuted to win the parade competitions......and most of all, his incredible positive attitude!!

And then......he spent sooooo much time at my/our home. First as a "best friend" of my son, Jeremy,.....and then as not just a student of mine, but as we became close friends. He was a fun loving young man......and as he matured, he continued to love Life and to enjoy it....and all of his many, many friends. Whenever he arrived at my front door and entered the house, OR.....when he left the house.....I was always the recipient of a big bear hug......a hug of intense friendship from such a warm and friendly young man.

During those years of high school.....and after he graduated and during the next 11 years....I was not only his friend, but his confident.....and a second father. There was never a subject that was not discussed.....openly and without any hesitation, even with our large age difference. We shared many cups of coffee in these discussions.....and then as he reached the age of freedom (21), we often shared a few beers or glasses of dark red medicine.

The wonderful smile that he always had on his face.......the balding head that we laughed about as he began to see his hair disappear, the tattoos that he added to his body, the earrings that became a part of his "look"......and then the maturity took over and the earrings disappeared.
And then.......his "girl" became his wife......and he had one of the most beautiful weddings with a string quartet for music... performing in the glass conservatory of Tower Grove Park in STL as the setting for the ceremony.

David Adcox..........a young man even at 29 years of age.......as he slipped under the wheels of a large, driverless semi truck that was moving down the street,......he slipped away from all of us.......and this young man and his wonderful smile, his wonderful bear hugs, and his positive attitude about Life will no longer be here to make our lives more bearable.

David's Life was Great........and I hope that all of your lives are great, also!

No comments: