Wednesday, May 02, 2007

A Mother's Death.......It brings many Discoveries!

Two days…..two very FULL days……of the large task of going through cabinets, many drawers, the LONG closet, bookcases, shelves, under the beds, through the desk, through numerous shoeboxes and other cardboard boxes……and many other places that I can’t remember…..all of the above necessary to clean out my mother’s house. AND…..what a treasure trove of items and memories!!!!!!!

We have found literally thousands of newspaper clippings dating back to the 1800’s, through the 1900’s, and into this century. And…..all of these clippings related to our family members: their births, deaths, celebrations, weddings, school awards, school activities, vocational awards, happy times, and sad and tragic times. My mother was a “clipper”…….she searched the newspapers for any….ANY….item of the most miniscule size that might mention an accomplishment or any of the above activities of any of her family members…..and clipped it out to be saved. And on EACH and EVERY clipping she had underlined the name(s) of the family members that were in the article(s)……and oftentimes, in the margins of the paper would be edited corrections of the article that she made in pen or pencil. My and my sister’s eyes are aching from all of the reading of aged, yellowed newspapers that we have read, scanned, and skimmed during these past two days. BUT……what we have learned anew, what we have forgotten over the years, and the memories that have come surging forward with laughter….and many tears….as we went through these clippings!!

The cedar chest….the LONG closet, the other drawers and cabinets…..they all held items that made memories for, and of, our family members. I pulled out a box…..and inside were my USAF summer dress blues, winter dress blues, cap, tie, and my winter dress wool overcoat!!!! I had no idea she had saved these “tiny” clothes…..at least they look tiny NOW….hahaha! Another box and I discovered that she had saved my elementary/jr. high hobby: she had saved my stamp collection from 50 years ago!!!! I am wondering……are there any of these OLD stamps that might have some value now? Who knows???!!! I have also discovered that she saved many of my childhood books….the books I loved as a pre-school child are now in my possession as I reach MY senior years…..who would have thought that she would save these for me for 60 years…..under the bed and in the closet??!!! Many tears have streamed down my face during these past two days……..it has been a very emotional two days.

We have yet to begin going through the thousands of OLD black and white photos of ancient and contemporary family members…….what a task lies yet ahead! My mother was not only a “clipper”, but she was also a “keeper”…….a keeper of everything she had used or owned during her 93+ years. What things will these pictures reveal to us???? WOW…I can hardly wait to begin……but, probably next week!

Luckily for my sister and I…..she had tightly organized her affairs for the end of her Life. Her house had been placed in a “beneficiary deed”……and this morning all it took was three minutes at the county courthouse and $24.00 to change the house ownership from her to my sister and myself…..no probate, no attorney….just a check to have the change of ownership recorded in the courthouse!!! She had set up her bank accounts and other financial affairs in the same manner! WOW……even in death she is still watching over and taking care of her children and other family members……..and that was type of Lady my mother was…….always thinking of, and being very protective of her family!

And sooooo, I will have many items to transport home tomorrow…..and many, many more to discover when I return next week to continue this cleaning task. I have already had one call from an interested buyer for the house……but, there is much work to be done before anyone can even get inside the door. And…..I may not be able to get OUT the door unless I move some boxes……….

I need to somehow find MY luggage, clothes, etc. to prepare to leave tomorrow afternoon…….and so, as I go about trying to get out of the house tomorrow…….I will always remember just how my Life was here in this tiny house…..and how my Life continues to be:

Life is/was Great!!!!! And…I hope it is for all of you, also

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was sorry to read of your loss, but what an amazing legacy she has left you. She left you with a physical representation of her love for you.

Kathy said...

Oh, John, I've been lax and have missed many of your posts. I'm so sorry to hear about your mother. My sympathies.