Thursday, May 03, 2007

More sorting and tossing..........

AHHHH……another day……a lot more memories!!! You know…….I am really getting a bit tired of the “new”, but horrendous coffee at McDonald’s!!!!! Three days out of the four that I have been here, I have found myself at McD’s in the morning for NOT my Fr. Roast coffee. Yesterday I went to the another “local” place: “The Eager Beaver”…..an old café that has been there for years and years………not for certain that it is quite as “eager” as it used to be……age has a way of making even beavers not so eager as they used to be!

While there yesterday morning I ran into a former band student who was in the class of ‘82.……played(held) the trumpet and went with the band to the Rapid City Music Festival that we soooo enjoyed in 1980.….and has stayed in Eldon all these years. For those of you who might know of this class…….it was Jon Brewer. Also saw many others who were either former band parents of my students or in high school with me or just a few old friends from the years I taught here.

But, for some reason I returned to McD’s and ate and drank their coffee(??) in relative silence. The rest of the day was spent doing about the same as the previous three…..going through and sorting and tossing. Today our concentration was mainly in the kitchen…….and most of everything went into the trash! Too old for daily usage, but not old enough to be in the antique class……just well used!

Then this afternoon I had help in removing everything that was in the storage shed in the back of the yard…..and OMG, but what a task. Most of the boxes contained old clothes and SPIDERS!!! How lucky we are that next Monday/Tuesday are the Spring Clean-up day here in this part of town and they will take any and everything that is put out on the street edge of the yard….soooooo, we have mucho items out there that will be picked up next week. However…….by this evening, many items were already gone by those who drive around town and check out other people’s trash……and they find treasures in there that they take with them before the clean-up trucks arrive.

Later this evening I went to the Lake and had dinner at Chili’s. Hmmmmmm…….not nearly as good of food or service there as in other Chili’s around the country!!!!! The service was very poor……the chips with salsa were supposed to be warm and not only were they frigid, but the were STALE!!!! Then……of ALL things, my cabernet dark red medicine was OLD……there was not even one hint of an aroma/bouquet when my nose entered the wine glass and the wine had an old taste to it!!! And last, but not least…….my Grilled Shrimp Alfredo was almost missing from the plate! There was not enough penne pasta to even cover the bottom of the plate!!!!!!!!!!!! So, I called the server over and complained….the manager arrived….and after explaining to her the problemS…..she took off the chips/salsa and the wine from my bill….and then charged me only half the cost of the shrimp and pasta. I have found that it certainly pays to complain…….but, ONLY if there is a legitimate complaint, of course!!! How else will the restaurant management know that the quality of the food and service is not up to the standards they wish to attain???

Back to the old homestead….and some more looking around to see if there was anything else that needed to be loaded in the truck. At times, waves of guilt wash over me for not taking more items from my parent’s lives with me……..should I take things for MY kids and grandchildren to have??? It has been an emotional time….and I hope that later on as I withdraw into my own past and my memories that I will not regret these four days of sorting and tossing away. Hmmmm……..

And so, with a very busy HowserHouse expected this weekend with a variety of family members and houseguests for the weekend, I will have to return in the morning. In fact….TheHowserHouse on wheels will be put into use as a place for some of the family to stay during the weekend. So, I have to get it opened and aired out, hook up the cable tv cable, and attach the fresh water hose. Doing this will make me salivate to get back on the road again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But, as I look at the calendar it will only a little over two weeks before we will be leaving……..if only for 2-3 weeks…..but it will be good to get away once again!!!

And so……I will return up here next week to continue this task with my sister…and hopefully get the house ready to try to sell “as is”.

Life is Great……and I hope it is for all of you, also!

No comments: