Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Tue, July 27, 2010: WORDS CANNOT DESCRIBE IT...........OMG,...!!!

I absolutely do not know where to even begin, other than to say: This was without a doubt the most wonderful, incredible weekend that I have ever experienced in my ENTIRE life!!!!!! I have been speechless in attempting to describe this weekend........it is not possible to understand this weekend without having been there to experience it......just wonderfully awesome!!!

The 1st Lady and I left on Friday morning from here around 9AM....and arrived at the Resort at Port Arrowhead on the Lake of the Ozarks around 12:45.....about 200 miles over hill and through the valleys.....not a good way to get from F'town to the Lake no matter which way anyone takes to make the trip.

Checking into the resort hotel, I was told that there were TWO John Howser reservations??? Yep.....one spelled with a "w" and other spelled with a "u". I told them my cred card number and we were given the room I reserved, however....it was a LONG way from where our room was located to the area which we would using all weekend. But........we drove to our building and unloaded in the intense, ungodly heat and humidity. This place was packed.....and the hotel told me there were no more rooms available....lots of things going on at the Lake this weekend.

We ran into Dr. Jeni and Darrel.....they had arrived a few days earlier, just the two of them, to celebrate their anniversary. His mother later on Friday brought the three little ones down to the resort for the weekend and she remained with us for the weekend. They had been having a great time as they brought their recently acquired boat with them to use on the lake.

After getting settled in to our room, I went to the Sale Office of the resort to get a "tour" of where our Music Fest was going to be....where the various rooms were located that had been "rented" for the parties, rehearsals, concert. Wonderful staff there.......just always trying to please and to make sure our experience was topnotch at their facility!! And, as we were being taken around the resort, I ran into two young ladies who had come from Fredericktown, former band members who were here for the reunion!! Soooo great to see them and sooo glad they came.

Soon, I was busy with the registration table for the Howser Music Fest.....and before long, former students began to arrive with their families. Ohhhhhhh, it was sooooooo great to see them!!! I didn't recognize all of them......as it had been upwards of thirty years since I had last seen a few!!!! Before long, I was relieved of duty.....as those in charge of registration arrived and took over this task. Badges had been printed with the school colors of each of the three schools where I taught, packets from the Lake Chamber of Commerce were given to each registrant, the schedule of the weekend was printed on the back of each badge, everything had been planned and readied for this weekend by the outstanding planning committee!!!!!!!

About 5pm, the 1st Lady, Becky and granddaughter Rachel, and myself decided to go have a bite to eat before things became too hectic, as the reception/party was to begin at 7pm...... Well, we were sitting in the restaurant overlooking the Lake and talking and laughing....and I realized that this couple were standing close to our table with a bit of a grin on their faces. I looked up....trying to figure out who they were.......and then he told me their names....and I couldn't get up from my chair quick enough!!!! It was a trumpet player who was in the 7th grade when FIRST began my teaching career in August of 1970 at Linn HS in Linn, MO!!!!!!!!! Johnnie Fowler and his wife.....and whom I had not seen since 1974......36 YEARS ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He was one of my favorite students there in Linn.....and, his wife, as a HS student, had baby set for our two oldest children.....who were 4 and 6 years old at the time!!!!!
Well....needless to say.....tears began.....and for the rest of the weekend, it was an hourly happening to me!!!

And.....the incredible reception for everyone was no different......students appeared with their spouses and children whom I had not seen since they graduated from high school......from the 70's through the 80's and 90's!!!!! Just sooooooooo great to see them all.....as hugs and tears became the way of the evening!!! Several brought their horns.....and before long there was a group of guys who played through the entire evening..........not knowing each other as they were from F'town and from Eldon.....but, music IS the universal language and that night certainly proved that statement to be true!!!! What great music we had!!!! Drinks, pictures, dancing, wonderful appetizer table.....talk, laughs, tears, tears, tears......as band members from all three schools mingled and met and others renewed old friendships.......just a GRAND EVENING!!!! And....it lasted LATE, LATE, LATE!!!!!

I fell into bed for a few hours....and then on Sat, I was up and going at 7am.....having some breakfast and going to the rehearsal/concert room where more former students began to arrive. I had FIVE band directors there, all former students or spouse, who ran the setup for the rehearsal....music, chairs, stands, instruments that were loaned for those who did not any longer have horns.....so, when 9am came for the downbeat, we were almost ready to begin!!!!! And....within 30 minutes, we were making great music once again, after decades of not playing, not being together, not even knowing the people around you or sitting next to you, from the two schools. The students from Linn did not play as it had been a LONG, LONG time since they had horns....of course!!! By the end of the rehearsal day, there were 45 or so in the band!!!!!!

The rehearsal lasted until 12 noon....and then broke for lunch, which was provided for the participants. I barely had time to eat as more former students continued to arrive and came into the luncheon to see their friends and to talk with me. At 1pm, we continued the rehearsals until 4pm.....and I was absolutely drained by that time......emotionally and physically!!!!!!

Returning to our suite.....oh yes, the other "John Howser" at the hotel registration was also ME!!! The hotel had given the 1st Lady and I a complimentary suite....two large rooms with two baths and all amenities!!!!!! The 1st Lady and my family had moved our clothes, etc, etc during the reception on Friday night.....and it was right next to all of the facilities which we were using in the Festival! No one had told us about the suite being reserved for us....so that was the mix-up when we first arrived!!!!!

Of course, no rest for the weary, as more former students arrived to hear the concert...and they dropped by our suite with margaritas for everyone.....and lots of laughs and talk for an hour or two!! I managed to grab a shower.....COLD....as I needed that to loosen up my arm from the muscles tightening from directing all day!!! A quick bite of food.....and then it was time to warm up the band.

Well over 150 people were there for the concert, more and more students and their families had driven in for this evening. It went really, really well.....WOW.....and everyone playing had such a great time doing so. Two wonderful video segments surprised me during the concert with pictures from my past, my various school performances and trips, and pictures of former students. The other video was full of testimonies from many, many students about the way I had influenced their lives.....and continue to do so. Humbling to say the least, emotions ran sooo high that I couldn't talk........a beautiful tribute to me that I will be forever grateful!!!

Following the concert, there were after the concert parties......and we were up until 3am celebrating this amazing evening/weekend. Brunch was served the next morning for everyone......and the 1st Lady and I left about mid-afternoon, having request a late check-out from the suite.

WOW..WOW..WOW....these words tell nothing about this event......it just can't be described!!! I will post some links to the various pictures that are on Facebook and on the Howser Music Fest website very soon!!!! I just feel like I have written an assigned report for a class with this description above.......it does not due the weekend justice!!!!!!! IT CANNOT BE DESCRIBED IN WORDS!!!!!!!!!!

LIFE IS REALLY AWESOME......AND IT HAS BEEN JUST INCREDIBLY GREAT THE PAST FEW DAYS!!!!!!!!! I wish it could be this wonderful and amazing for all of you!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Hotel California said...

Awesome!!! And congratulations.